d86b498e.jpg

Caught this guy stripping a cockroach fly on the Oct Reservoir

7b01d035.jpg

Cockroach Fly
e3090dfd.jpg

Cant forget about these guys

Perk002-1.jpg

Cool.
I haven't caught any channel cats this year but usually pick up a couple in a season when fishing for river SMBs. I really don't target them but if I see a cattie, esp in fast water, I'll try to feed 'em a fly. A mid sized cattie (15-25") is a blast on a fly rod. They won't make long runs like carp but will put up a good fight.

Nice! No cats for me either, but soon enough...

One of the most time consuming fights i have ever had was with a mammoth channel cat i caught while fishing for carp on the allegheny river. That fish ran out to the middle of the river and just shook his head and twirled for about 40 minutes.

NICE how did you get him .

Nice, i picked a few of those guys up this week.

Fredrick wrote:
NICE how did you get him .

There were about a dozen of them feeding way up in the head of a riffle, one of them even feeding on the surface. It ignored a damselfly pattern, but this one inhaled my tiger-barred fur leech.

I had lots of refusals all day. It was amazing to watch them swim over, "sniff" my fly, and then swim away. I never really targeted carp much before this summer - man I've been missing out. They're so fun to catch, and incredibly challenging too.

Since catfish and carp are both further evolved than salmonids,not surprising that they are more wary.
sorry,couldn't resist.lol

Susky brown. My first cat on the fly!

hyT1M.jpg

I love that Frederick throws a tarpon fly in freshwater--and it apparently works on everything. Viva la cucaracha!

Back