Brown Lining and Getting the Last Laugh

Pittflyguy

Pittflyguy

Hey All,

So I had to relay this story and photo because I can't stop laughing about it. I was traveling for business in Western Ohio this week. I packed my rod in the car with hopes of getting out for a few hours in the evening.

I found a small pay lake near where I was working and hit the water. The lakes were being fished by a bunch of guys with huge live bait rigs fishing for monster catfish.

The lake was small and I could hear the guys across the lake laughing at the guy with the fly rod and one of them actually called me a moron. For two hours.... I believe their collective fish count was ZERO!

After I landed the first one (6lbs), they weren't snickering quite as loud. After I landed the 12 pounder.... they didn't utter a word. As I was walking back around the lake, the guy looked over his shoulder at me. I just smiled, looked at him, and said, "Not so funny now is it".

He laughed and asked me to show him what kind of "bait" I was using. When I explained my bait was a size 4 chartreuse crystal bugger, he stared in disbelief.

I smiled the entire way home!

Attachments

• IMG_0503.jpg
    IMG_0503.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 4
Skills

Bait is for children and adults who have no desire to grow.

Maurice,

I was thinking in my head as I was fishing that it had been a while since I was fly fishing amongst a group of guys with 5 gallon white buckets.

To be honest, I have no problem with people doing it as I am not that high brow but the analogy that kept flying through my head was that I was performing surgery with a scalpel and they were doing it with a pair of garden shears. It really made me appreciate my fly fishing addiction!

Sweet! One for the good guys!

How funny, huh? There is a fine line between looking like a complete idiot and someone who knows what they are doing! hahaha

Nice job! That is a great post.

Nice Flatties you got there :pint:

Bruno and Fredrick... Thanks! Always big fun. Definitely a departure from a day at the stream! :)

acristickid wrote:
How funny, huh? There is a fine line between looking like a complete idiot and someone who knows what they are doing! hahaha

I've never found that line...

Pitt that is an awesome story! nice work...

some people like to play checkers...but fly fishing is like chess...not everyone understands it, and not everyone can be good at it...

Back