Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Best Smallmouth River in the North East

From Frederick, MD & New Philly, OH
Since the decline of local rivers (Susky, Potomac, Shenandoah, and others), what is your opinion of the BEST smallie river in the North East for size and quantity. I'm still haunted by the 100 plus fish days on the Susky....

Posted on: 2010/7/6 10:44

Re: Best Smallmouth River in the North East

From Downingtown
I'm wondering if there even is one. I've hit most of the SE waters and have had a terrible SMB year.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 12:02

From SE PA - Montgomery County
I hit the Delaware River in Reigelsville yesterday and I didn't get anything through a nice run I worked for about 2 hours. Not good.

The best sections I have fished recently are north of Milford, PA.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 13:02

From Gettysburg
Oh gosh. This is like trying to choose between a catcher and firstbaseman as to who is the best baseball player. Nevertheless, it's an intriguing question. I've never fished the Allegheny or some of the big warm water river systems in NY or New England. Of the ones I'm familiar with, I'd vote for the upper Potomac. I think for public access, numbers of fish, numbers of trophy fish, combination of water types (dammed pools, wadeable areas, shallow rocky riffles etc) and scenic beauty the Potomac is mighty nice.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 13:32

From SEPA
The best river really depends on time of year. Pre spawn, post spawn and fall all have different locations and rivers for me.

For the north east in general, I'd have to pick the upper Niagra river and the eastern end of Lake Erie.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 13:54

I'm with you on that one fishidiot about the Potomac. I'm wondering what guys have to say from the Allegheny, Clarion, and North East of the state. I have no problem finding the big smallies in the susky during the cooler months. But it's not even worth fishing during the summer months. I'd like to know if anyone on here ventures out to New England streams. If so, recommendations or reports of fabulous smallmouth fishing would be great to hear.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 13:59

The best smallmouth river in the northeast US is probably in Maine.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 15:36

hey beeber2 I've heard that the Niagra below the falls in the place to go to catch any trophy fish species out of the great lakes. The problem is access. I heard a boat is absolutely necessary.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 15:50

From Delaware Co.
I would have to say the Penobscot River is the only river left

Posted on: 2010/7/6 18:09

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
3 out outside of PA that (if I recall correctly) are pretty highly regarded are the Androscoggin in Maine, the Mohawk in central NY and the Lower Housatonic in CT.

The Allegheny is a good smallmouth river, but even at its best, its probably about on a par with the Delaware, maybe a little better. Not even close to what a healthy Susquehanna or Juniata is like

Older guys from around home always used to tell me that the portion of the river that now lies at the bottom of Allegheny Reservoir was a superior smallmouth fishery.

The Clarion, although its been years since I've been on it, is/was a fine bass river. But even in it's lower watershed, its of a size class that isn't much bigger than some other Allegheny tribs and even WB Susquehanna tribs.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 18:47

From Chester County
The Susquehanna WAS. Right now I have no idea.

I have fished the Penobscott in Maine recently. It is a good SM river, but not great. I fished with an expert, Kevin Tracewski, the author of "A Fisherman's Guide to Maine." Some parts of the Susky, even today match up, or are even better for smallies right now.

Also, Contrary to popular belief, there's not a bruiser brookie under every rock either up in Maine. He enjoys driving down Central PA to fish for wild trout.........lol. The grass is always greener.

Posted on: 2010/7/7 7:29

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Not a river, and haven't fished it in a while, but by far the best smallmouth fishing I have ever experienced was Lake Erie. You can't rack up 100+ numbers on small tackle just for the simple reason that it takes too long to bring em in (long lines and big fish). But we basically spent most of the day hooked up, and they AVERAGED in the 20 inch range and fat as footballs. I don't think there's much that could compare to it. FF might be tough, though. We generally found what depth they were at by trolling, usually 10-30 feet of water over rocks. Then you get the weight and drift speed of the boat right (drift socks if wind was high), so that the offering hung just over the bottom. We used spinning rods in those days, but I suppose with sinking lines and weighted streamers you could reach em. The water is gin clear, so even at 30 feet, you can visually see if you get it right. Once everything is right, just toss out and hold on! Usually it was me, my dad, and brother, and triple headers were the norm.

After that, I have no idea. I do a little bass fishing here and there, but I don't get serious enough about it to really be able to compare.

Posted on: 2010/7/9 11:30

From Lehighton, PA
I happen to think the Delaware River is an excellent smallmouth bass fishery. Not sure if its THE BEST in the Northeast but I'd bet it'd be on the short list of many NE smallie experts. Further south into WV and VA you have to start talking about the New and Shenandoah Rivers as well.

Posted on: 2010/7/9 16:57

Ryan,
I'm pretty much with you. The Delaware is still good and I have a soft spot for the New from the headwaters in North Carolina to the big, brawling water in West Virginia.

Not sure it is world class, but I just like many of the Central NYS rivers like the Cohecton, Chemung, Tioughnioga, etc for their scenery, low fishing pressure, and mixed bag warmwater fishing. Not generally great fishing, but there are hot spots where the fishing is pretty good.

My best smallie fishing in the last few years was at the Salmon R in New York. I caught the beginning of the spring run and the fishing for big lake run smallies was awesome. Not sure of all the Great Lakes, but in Lake Ontario and the Finger Lakes the smallies spawn in the tribs and can offer great stream fishing since the size and numbers of fish will be well above what is normal.

The one worry I have with the Delaware now is flathead catfish. I have seen a couple of 5 foot long flatheads taken near Belvidere and am not having the same success with redbreast sunnies as I normally do. Those flatheads are some top predator IMHO (they could swallow a 20" smallie with no problem) and they have clobbered sunfish populations in North Carolina where they have gotten into Atlantic drainage rivers.

Posted on: 2010/7/19 10:43

From Lehighton, PA
Good points and nice variety of streams there Jeff. One place that didn't get mentioned is definitely a top smallmouth "river" is the Thousands Islands area of the St. Lawrence River. Both #s and trophy-size smallies abound here.

Posted on: 2010/7/19 12:08

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
123 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com