Bassing on Lake Erie

Pittflyguy

Pittflyguy

Well I just arrived back from our Erie excursion. Needless to say, we had a great trip! The weather could have been a bit more cooperative as could the fish, but I am far from complaining. I will say that it has been a great many years since I have consumed that many slim jim’s and beef jerkey in such a short period of time. Holy sodium overload!

We arrived on Friday and went to check out the mouth of Walnut Creek just to see what was going on. As you would expect we did not see any Steelhead, but then again it was dark so we didn’t really expect to! We began our day on Saturday in Presque Isle Bay and hit some spots that a few friends were kind enough to share with us and we are kind enough not to repeat to anyone. A front had moved in and the rain and wind were pretty much present from the get go but we made the best of it. I caught one nice bass in the morning but the rest of the afternoon was pretty well shut down.

p8210109.jpg

That evening we made a change in location to fish the opposite side of the bay. Before doing so, was a mandatory stop at “Backyard Burger” which was followed closely by a mandatory stop to the bathroom. Two days later, I am still not sure that my digestive track has recovered.

With the wind whipping up, there was a healthy chop but nothing too drastic to deal with. Apparently the bass didn’t seem to mind as we brought about 5 more to hand including this beauty. Unfortunately, my staff photographer said that his union only permitted him to work an 8 hour fishing day and it was 5 minutes past his shift so I had to self photo this one.

cimg0450.jpg

Sunday proved to be a very tough day of fishing but fun never the less. We spent most of our day with hoods over hats and trying to not get blown off of the water! We did manage to find a few spots on the bay that had some cover but the fishing was far from prolific. Then again it was late August, suspect weather, and…… I am still searching for my third fishing excuse.

We did manager to shoot a bunch of cool video as well which I will try to edit into something moderately entertaining for your viewing pleasure. Believe it or not, this was our first fly fishing trip up to Erie for bass so we viewed this a a perfect recon trip for the spring when the action heats up. On a gear note:

* New Reddington CPX 8 Wt was fantastic and was throwing some beautiful loops considering the big *** fly and the high winds
* Said Reddington CPX was making me smile until Bob hands me his Orvis Helios and says… try this…all I can say is WOW
* Stripping guards are my fav and kept my index finger intact over thousands of strips… knuckle on my middle finger is not so luck as I burned it trying to catch up with a bass moving towards me in a hurry
* Forever kudos to my Seattle Sombrero. I managed to stay relatively dry all things considered
* Loving my new polarized glasses with yellow lenses… perfect for low light conditions!

p8210111.jpg

cimg0444.jpg

That is awesome, thanks for sharing. I went Presque Isle last year in the spring, my track coach was kinda pissed, but it was only 2 days. Caught a ton of smallmouth, right off the "pier". Didn't get a chance to go anywhere else, my dad was at Gannon for a b-ball camp. Prolific is a great word foe Presque Isle in spring.

Sid,

We were going to try and hit the pier as well but it was mobbed with people and there was absolutely no room to cast a fly rod anywhere... Hopefully next time.

That is actually the one thing we were talking about how cool the spring would be when the smallies come into the shallows... should be fun!

Good Luck and Tight Lines!

This is a neat report. It's nice to see some more reporting on still water and warm water destinations.

Thanks Dave. I know most of the guys on the forum are trout hounds but some of us do live on the dark side! ;-)

It was Bob's first time fly fishing for LMB so it was quite an initiation for him. I had never seen the Erie tribs before so it was interesting for me to take a look and check them out. (granted they have no water in them but I thought it was cool to see some of the structure)

Back