Bass Lake, Canada...flies to use

J55tyger88

J55tyger88

A friend of mine is headed to Bass Lake in Ontario and wants some flies to use. What you recommend? Typical bass bugs?
Thanks in advance.

Tyger

Tyger, this time of year. Poppers, bugs early morning and eve. Daytime, I like oversize rabbit strip muddlers. smallies love them. Then of course clausers. Crawfish patterns. Although you can get bass in morning and eves on top. A large streamer will out fish top water. Again big muddlers. You can also catch tons of fish on large micky finns.

GenCon

Thanks mike.

I'm heading up to Ontario in a few days, myself. Just putting the finishing touches on my fly boxes. The evening has been the best time for top water fishing, especially if there's been a chop on the lake and it's flattened out. Poppers, Sneaky Pete style sliders, Gurglers, some large spiders and Crease flies are in the box. I've caught fish on all of them.
Subsurface, for some reason, white is a good color. I've got a bunch of rattle Clousers, Calcasieu Pig Boats and Hoo flies tied in white, perch/fire tiger, smallmouth colors and local bait fish colors. Some crayfish and leech patterns and something based on a some crappie jigs a friend brought for the trip that allowed me to use up most of the clear Fish Skulls I brought. Some large streamers 5 to 8 inches long, more for pike than smallies but they still catch the smallies.

Back