HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: anybody ever fish the swatara?

Click to see original Image in a new window

That middle picture would be my father, he decided to tap along...

Posted on: 2008/12/9 16:19

From Pine Grove
Yup I've spent quite a few days fishing that stretch myself, I know exactly where you are. I've done quite a bit of camping(not so much legal lol) on the other side of the stream from the road.

This spot is one of the areas that gets extremely packed randomly on some days though. There are plenty of better areas to fish, this stretch used to be great until the new bridge construction.

From here south quite a ways is dead water but there are few really nice spots further south.

If you go north further into the state park(actually the best bet is to access it from the smaller less used northern parking lot) theres a few really nice spots. It's also in the woods and more fully enclosed with much much better fish habitat.

Posted on: 2008/12/9 20:10

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

From Pine Grove
Also, to add some trivia, the iron bridge in the picture you posted used to be over the Little Pine at Waterville.

Boyer

Posted on: 2008/12/9 20:38

From Pine Grove
One day I will have to go back to the old iron bridge and get a picture, that's a neat site to see also. I have only once dared the walk across it.

It's about 50 feet above the water, it's an old railroad bridge and the ties are almost all gone so its just 2 foot wide beams running across it.

I don't have exact depth knowledge but rumor has it it's at least 40 feet. I know I have seen people jumping from the bridge, but it's not the safest because people have dumped stuff like refrigerators off the bridge. I have seen quite a few nice catties caught here, as well as rock bass in the masses.

Posted on: 2008/12/9 21:29

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

From Pine Grove
Quote:

gemiller wrote:
Well, its weird out there these days thanks to the government.

There are places to park "in the park" but not directly on the water anymore. They banned driving "Old State Road" which is the road that runs next to the stream due to teenagers partying back there and whatnot. They only open the road to scenic driving I believe one weekend a month(not positive on that because I don't bother) but there are some small parking lots on the north end of the park that have nice trails straight to the swatara.

I just swung down by the north end of old state road yesterday and there is no gate and no signs. Somebody'd have to have a pretty big set to try to fine me for driving a road with no gate nor signs. On that note, it parallels the stream for like 4 miles, although about 2 of those miles are a good bit of bushwacking to get to the water.

Boyer

Posted on: 2008/12/15 7:08

From lebanon, pa
i have never taken a camera with me.....always afraid i;d lose it, or dunk it.
but my fishing buddy and i have have floated every mile from jonestown to the river.
we have'nt messed with much about rt22. ten years ago we were hitting it around the park, and caught nothing in several attempts...things must have improved over the years..good show

Posted on: 2008/12/24 20:49

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
153 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com