9 Weight ok for Fall surf run?

S

srtmack

I was going through my old fly rods and found a Sage Graphite 2 9 foot 9 weight. I haven't fished for quite a few years (this year i've been at it full bore!) and had been thinking about getting a less expensive 10 weight for my saltwater trips. Would the 9 weight hold up to fly fishing the beaches of NJ?

I'm not planning on doing any fishing from the jetties, strictly from the beach. I'm targeting bass and blues when I am out (usually at IBSP).

Thanks in advanced for your opinions!

I have heard a few places that a minimm of 8wt is needed for surf, heavier if there is wind. I wold think you would be ok but want others to sond in.

I also think that your sage 9wt wold be better then an inexpensive 10 wt, better to spend money on good real, and line

Just my thoughts

I appreciate the advice! I'm gonna use that money to buy the 10 weight and put that towards a decent reel.

Although I am bummed out right now thinking about Seaside Park NJ. We'd always stop by the one pizza joint after hitting IBSP and now it's gone. They definitely liked the business from the fall fishermen crowd.

I would have to say that a 10wt is better for most . But if you are a good caster a 9 wt would be ideal .

agree with fred. but I also break out the 8 when on the beach. pick your days wisely. anything over fifteen mph wind its gonna suck. that's the reason why guys use a 10 and 12 wt for stripers. little guys are still fun on a 10. that being said I am still looking to get something over 12 pound out on jersey. did in marthas but not NJ yet. 20 wouldn't be bad either. that when a 10 really comes in handy.
also cant say enough about lamson reels if you are looking for a solid salt reel.
gonna be there sat night hopefully the beaches are full of mullet.

marc

Mullet run = good chance of getting a 10 LB.+ bluefish on a fly. take a 10 wt. best all around rod for I.S.B.S.P.

big bass won't be down till the water cools off in October.

10 pounders sound good hell I'd take 5 pounders.

9 wt will work ok if conditions are right. But I have always used a 10. If there is wind" which there always seems to be" 10 works better. That being said use what you have. I always use shooting heads in surf water. Casting a head when windy is much easier than a full line. Also like Sandfly said a 10 lb blue fish can tear you up. Got into some big ones on the Vinyard once. We where catching fish from 12 to 16 lbs. I went to a 12 wt. My knuckles where getting beat.

GenCon

Back