Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 8lb bass uncatchable?

An 18" smallie is about 8 years old. Smallies are slower growing and longer lived than trout so the big ones can be tough to catch.

In my local creek I have taken one approach that works, but takes lots of time. The big smallies near me rest most of the time but take occasional lunges into the shallows to grab some minnows and smaller fish. When they are chasing minnows they are suckers for streamers or pencil poppers. Of course the problem is that you have to be there when it happens. This involves time scouting to get their feeding patterns and then making sure you are regularly around at feeding time. I don't know any shortcuts to consistently getting the larger stream bass, but being there when they attack the shallows does work.

Same for carp. I can only catch carp on flies when they are mudding or feeding. Therefore, first step is to figure out when and where they feed. No substitute for time on the water.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 10:23

I guess if I were to suggest a bait, a softshell crayfish would be my pick. The biggest fish find it hard to resist a shedder. Now you have to catch a lot of crayfish or keep them in a tank to get the shedders. Once again, it takes work to fool the big ones.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 10:27

From SE PA
Wacky worm rig using a 10" senko.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 7:51

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com