1st Quillback

J

jjsjigs

Caught my first quillback last night. A very uncommon catch for me, I must say. Especially in a trib.

558305602_photobucket_4077_.jpg

and a few chunks of SM bass for good measure...

558305602_photobucket_4079_.jpg

558305602_photobucket_4085_.jpg

and even a rainbow trout! Strange catching him in what is considered a warmwater stream and is NOT stocked whatsoever.

558305602_photobucket_3932_.jpg

Nice job jigs. In my experience, trout (esp stocked trout) are a common catch in big warm water rivers during the colder months of the year. The quillback, though, is odd - I've never caught one although they're very numerous in the Juniata River.
Cool.

I think FBC Mike may give you a citation (as a recognition...not a violation..lol) for catching a quillback carpsucker. Nice job!

quillback carpsucker

http://fishandboat.com/pafish/fishhtms/chap13_quillbackplay.pdf

If you want to catch a quillback try the mouth of Conodoguinet, Clarks, Stony and Swatara creeks. Fish low and slow, plenty of them at hese those from personal experience.

I caught my first quillback this year as well on a san juan worm. I actually had a double as another one chased my dropper down and at it. Unfortunately they were both pretty good sized so when they swam in opposite directions they snapped the 4x tippet connection.

Poor picture quality but it was from a cell phone.

Attachments

• QuillBack.jpg
    QuillBack.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 5
Nice! I've never caught or even seen that creature.

Hopefully Mike will check in.

Very elusive fish for the NB Susquehanna in Bradford County. I'm friends with the area's only full time SMB guide and he has been guiding for over 30+ years. He has only caught 5 quillback in 30 years and has only caught them in the river (never has caught one in the tribs). He thought is was cool that I caught one on a fly... he hasn't heard of another flyflinger in Bradford County catching one on a fly before. Especially, on a large streamer that I was using. Normally, they eat chronimids and tiny stuff line #16 nymphs bounced along the bottom.

So I'm pleased that I finally can mark this fish of "my bucket list".

Tweed the Skuylkill is loaded with them in the lower section

They eat buggers & streamers with no problem.

It ate my streamer with no problem... but the 'Chronimids and nymphs' is per the guide.

Back