Your input

yea-who

yea-who

They stock alot of Lakes around me, also most of them have trout in them being they are Spring or mountain run off feed and 30 to 90 feet deep. Which would be a good angle to take at these fish? basically how would educated people like yourselves fly fish a lake?

I usually fish them from a float tube (if allowed) with buggers or leech patterns as deep as I can get them. Sometimes I even use a sinking line and just feed it out as I kick backward rather than cast. I usually find that if I get a hit in one area I will get another in the same place so since it seems you are always floating thru a spot you just kind of have to turn around and make another pass thru that spot. Short strips and rest... short strips and rest.

Sometimes you can even kind of troll if you have enough weight to keep the fly down. Its a nice casual backward float which tends to be kind to those of us that do too much sightseeing when fishing. You can keep an eye on that Osprey and still fish without missing a strike beause you weren't paying attention. I rehabbed a bad knee that way a few years ago.

The takes are usually pretty obvious but with the line in a constant "belly" you have to watch how you strike because there is a tendency to pull the fly out of the fishes mouth.

If I can't get on the water, I usually try to find the highest vantage point with the most back cast room and let it fly, sink and strip in the same manner. I have had some luck with dry flies on the lakes but only the rises let you know if thats going to happen on any particular day.

i would think a fish finder and dropping chironomids would be effective too

Back