Wooly Buggers

T

TJD123

I am trying to perfect my techniques on wooly buggers. Does anyone have any pointers on what they have the most success with when fishing wooly buggers?

No, that's what I like most about them. I have stripped them deep and shallow like a streamer...bottom bounced it like a sculpin or cray fish and dead drifted it like a big stonefly...Sometimes I try all three until something works...I hate changing flies all day.

TJD,
I like my WBs tied very heavy with lead "dumbell" eyes. Try fishing 'em dead drift like a nymph - when the drift ends, swing or twitch 'em back upstream. I'd also suggest that, at least for trout fishing, that you keep the tails somewhat on the short side. This reduces the movement of the fly a bit but will increase hookups.

A technoque called the leisenring lift seems to work the best for me and put at least one small shot right above the fly on the tippet no more than say 3" cast upstream of where you think the fish is to let it gain depth and when you get to where you think the fish is lift and even strip a little sometimes and then again sometimes all you really have to do is lift an over zealous mend while lifting the rod tip i think is a good way to describe it

Letting them hang in the current and pulling them about a foot upstream with the rod tip and settle back works also.

very helpful-thanks

I have fished wooly buggers several ways, but my most successful method involves fishing current seams and stripping the bugger upstream using small, rapid strips of the line. The amount of weight depends on the type of situation. Sometimes I have to use one or two pieces of shot. Other times no shot is needed. The key is short, rapid twitching; however, the frequency of the presentation will vary depending on the water temperature. IMO, a size 10 crystal bugger is the best fly to fish for freshly stocked trout.

Back