Who carries binoculars?

3wt7X

3wt7X

This is the first year that I have carried a pair of binoculars on my fly fishing trips. I had read about it before and Mike Evans from Savage River Outfitters made the suggestion that I carry them to identify what hatch the trout are feeding on. I've found that it is a great way to locate rising fish, especially the larger fish that hold tight to the banks. On a couple of occasions, I have switched flies as a result of my observations and caught fish immediately afterwards. The pair of binoculars that I carry is very cheap and compact, but they are effective. Anyone else carry binoculars? If so, can you buy more expensive ones with polarized lenses? I think that would create more of an advantage. Thanks for any input.

I do, sorta, i got a monocular from simmons fits nice in my 170lb vest, but seriously they really do help. Glare messes me up sometimes but if you fine tune the focus you can get by that, i check out any "nervous water" with the glasses first, the older i get the slower i get, but it turns out to be a good thing. Silver lining to every cloud.

Back