whats hot for valley

M

mnem11

any advice for valley cr. this time of year? ive been there once earlier this season and got skunked. im not the best but i usually catch something, so im looking to redeem myself.

heres another link to a thread about valley.
valley link
hope that helps you out. im not familar with valley creek but plan on headin out that way soon. VCregular or wmass might be able to help with any additional info. good luck!

Just a warning:

If you got the skunk earlier in the year, it didn't get any easier since then!

I'm holding off on my next trip until after a good rain.

From my experience, Valley fishes best with cloudy skies, after a rain, or when the water is flowing well. Bright skies and low/slow water are usually signs of a potentially frustrating day. Go there on a cloudy day and nymph a grey scud - San Juan Worm combo and you'll catch fish. Throw nymphs and dry's in tight spots close to the bank where all the tree roots and log's are, those are generally the most productive areas for me.

i finally had success at VC (3rd times a charm) thanks to the advice from this site. i got 4 on scuds i tied myself.

WOW

That's funny; after getting skunked two or three times on valley, I also caught four fish last time I went out.

Better yet, with Jay as my witness, I caught the biggest one on a Humpinator.

What are some good flies for the colder weather on valley. I still haven't caught a fish there on a dry, just scuds, but I was wondering if you guys had any other flies that work good going into october.

Terrestrials still work. Once that stops, perhaps some BWOs and midges. I've never fished it in the cold months, so this will be my first year.

i aws there today and a guy was telling me about a bwo hatch that happened yesterday. i was using scuds, i caught 2 small ones. the water is pretty low, fairly cool

I didn't start fishing valley till last December, but I remember that egg patterns were working then. I don't know when spawning starts, but I'm probably going to start throwing egg patterns come late October.

Back