Western NY Lake Ontario Browns

Raff

Raff

For several years I have heard of and seen the pictures of the Lake Ontario brown trout runs in western NY, but the cost of doing that trip was a bit prohibitive. Now that I am living in West Chester, doing such a early November trip is much more feasable. However, I have searched the interwebs and haven't been able to find a single source of good info about the fall run of brown trout.

Do any of you have suggestions (location, flies) or know of a good source of information for me to plan this trip?

Thanks in advance.

Here is some info to get you started.

http://www.flyguysoutfitting.com/wintersteel.html

http://www.whitakers.com/cgi-bin/start.cgi/whitakers/second_page2_newer.html?ex_file=daily_report2.lib

Google the "Salmon River Pulasky, NY" and there's a ton of inof on line to access.

Good luck.

"Western NY" usually means Oak Orchard, where browns are the main course.

Searching for info on the Oak is a good place to start.

I have never been there, as I have found the salmon is closer. If you're interested in that, afish's links are a good start.

We stayed here a couple years ago, it's a couple bedrooms on top of the fly shop, clean ,cheap, close to stream.
The licorice man knows what he is doing, and he is friendly as well.

http://www.orleansoutdoor.com/conditions.htm

Buffalo

I highly recommend Orleans Outdoors.

By the way, the brown in my avatar is a 13lb WNY brownie from last year!

Thanks for the info guys! I'm planning on heading up the second week of November. I'm hoping that I'll also be able to get into some steelhead while I'm up there. I'm stoked!

"We stayed here a couple years ago, it's a couple bedrooms on top of the fly shop, clean ,cheap, close to stream.
The licorice man knows what he is doing, and he is friendly as well.
http://www.orleansoutdoor.com/conditions.htm
Buffalo"

Glad to hear this as I am staying there for two nights in October. Ron seems like a great guy. Is he the "licorice man"? It sounds like we all have our own bedrooms and bathrooms and there is a central room with a TV and couches/fly tying area.

BJ

Wow, didn't realize the Oak was so much closer to me... a 4 hour drive now seems much more reasonable... even for a day trip...Now look what you did!!!!!

BJ
Think that is Ron.
Don't think you get a privite bedroom, there were 4 us in bunk beds in one room and we had our own bath.
There is also a micro wave and toaster as I remember, so we brought some food to warm up.
Don't think I would bring my wife but was great for us FF bums.
Buffalo

no info on his site for room rates... what's a typical price for a room at orleans outdoor??

He told me the rooms where 29.99 (might have been 39, but I think 29) a night per person. I will check the email he sent me and re-post.

"BJ
Think that is Ron.
Don't think you get a privite bedroom, there were 4 us in bunk beds in one room and we had our own bath.
There is also a micro wave and toaster as I remember, so we brought some food to warm up.
Don't think I would bring my wife but was great for us FF bums.
Buffalo"

Hmm. Well I guess that will work. Yeah, he made it sound like we have a common area for the 4 of us and we each have our own room/bed/bathroom. I guess that isn't the case! It still sounds awesome though.

Raff, my avatar is a brown from the Oak last year or the year before. Like was mentioned above, Ron is very knowledgeable on Oak fishing. And his rooms would not be wife approved, but for guys it's ok and it's close to the river and you can BS in the "Licorice Lounge".

Sorry for the disappearing trick. Work has me going a million miles an hour.

Thanks for all the info. Those browns in the avatars are piggies!

If I can swing it, I'm going to try to get up there to fish some browns. Depends on work really......

I caught a battleship of a brown this week on the salmon river. I'll post a pic when my friend sends it.

All I can offer is that you should fish down low and use chartreuse. The fish fought harder than any I have ever caught.

Back