west

marcq

marcq

i am going out to the montana, wyoming area this summer and doing some booking now i was woundering if anyone could to some good fishing locations? ill be in yellow stone fora good amount of time, im also making my way up to glacier national park to.

What dates? whats hot in june may not be in july or august
what is your favorite way of fishing?
do you have experience on big rivers?
are you pretty good or want something easier?
can you afford a guide?
what equipment do you have?
ponders-
out of the park below Quake lake the Madison has about sixty miles of fairly shallow constant riffles good for visiting anglers not use to big rivers but fish aren't going to run as large as rivers with deep holds-but these can be tough on outsiders
june you may have high run off so need to pick your river
August can be dog days
On your way up to glacier the Missouri can have some world class dry fly fishing but you would do best with a guide to show you the ropes
outsider can waste days fishing whitefish rises.
you have smaller rivers like the big hole in its upper reaches-can be a blast around 4th july for a variety of fish-

we will be out there at the end of augest. my favorate way to fish is drys and streamers. but i dont mind nymphing if i half to.i nevered fish big river around here. ill be taking my 5wt out i was thinking about fishing rock creek. we are getting a cabbin next to the river. i am thinking about fishing one of the big river with a guide. for prices im thinking a guide for about 300 or less, and the rest of the money is going to a place to stay, pluss fly's.

The wind blows 365 in the west-if you can borrow a 6wt-do so
load up on joes hoppers but wait until you get there-to buy-that's not lite wire dry country.
I never fished rock creek but Madison is a good choice-end of august is right at the very beginning of The Time
If you can stall until mid sept.-do so
believe me two or three weeks later worth it
thats when browns start moving up river to spawn-
If you can't stall -go high
upper big hole
yellowstone,madison in the park
ruby river
you want to be up on the divide
missoula is downstream
guys from over there heading to Butte,Bozeman,Livingstone area
remember this is the west-can snow anytime from labor day on
Seen snow in August in Gallatin Canyon
The Indian summer is the best time to be alive in the big sky country
You will have to look elsewhere for glacier advice.

If you do nothing else
take my advice to go high pre labor day
a couple 100 feet elevation can make the difference between spectacular fishing and a Montana is over-rated whine but don't tell the whiners because they know better-lol

by the way
punch Bozeman,Butte,Missoula,or Helen Mt. in google and you should get sky cams-see what you are going to be in-2hrs diff.

check into south and henry's forks of snake river and henry's lake. Too good and too close to just pass up....

when will you be out there?

In my opinion- you should become familar with this website.

http://fwp.mt.gov/fishing/default.html

If you are going to hire a guide- you will want to contact a fly shop to get suggestions. If you dont know of any fly shops- just google the name of the town and fly shop.

For example: Ennis MT fly shops

If you do go with a guide I would contact him asap and start picking his brain. There is a guy on here flybop who is a guide in MT- lives close to the Yellowstone River- which is close to where you have listed as one of your destinations.

My advice is try to stay in one or places and fish a few streams or rivers. MT is a huge state and you could spend a ton of (wasted) driving around.

Good luck- you could spend a whole summer just in Yellowstone and still not fish all the water available.

i am also going to be in jackson hole wyoming for a couple of days. i be fishing there aswell.

if you make your way to missoula, stop in the king fisher or the missoulian angler fly shop, you have the bitterroot, the clark and rock crk and the blackfoot all in the area

Aaah, the Kingfisher; I still have a cool T-shirt from there. They also offered excellent advice on where to fish on the Blackfoot, and Rock Creek. The Lamar River should be fishing well then, as well. I always start by buying guide books about the region I'm visiting.

Back