Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Upstream nymphing VS downstream nymphing techniques and tacticts

From Harrisburg
I do most of my nymphing upstream or across and up, I would like to hear about downstream nymphing and best rigs and tactics...How do most of you nymph?JayL I get the impression you downstream nymph quite a bit and would like to hear the finer details about the best way to offer this presentation. Thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2009/12/1 11:18

Re: Upstream nymphing VS downstream nymphing techniques and tacticts

From Bozeman
There are three situations that come to mind where I enjoy a downstream presentation while nymphing:

1. When short line aka czech aka high sticking. I will cast upstream and guide the nymphs through the drift. At the end of the drift, I let them swing until directly below me. I am then set up for a water haul and re-cast. Many strikes come on the swing, especially before or during a hatch. I can think of three separate occasions where I went water haul and cast, and ended up setting the hook into a fish. It's always a pleasant surprise.

2. When long line nymphing. I will employ a similar tactic as above, but will use much longer casts, often nearly directly upstream. I'll also use an indicator. I'll mend and take line in as the indie approaches me, and then use some line feeding mends to feed it back out. I'll feed line until I'm confident that it's a lost cause. I have gotten some hero drifts this way, and really honed this strategy on the bighorn.

3. Flybop got me to appreciate using nymphs or soft hackles as a trailer behind a streamer. I'll often pound the bank and then swing downstream. I'll also pull this rig slowly along the bottom in big pools. A downstream presentation is often effective that way.

An important consideration in downstream presentations is that drag will often cause your rig to drift across the current, toward the near bank. This is often difficult to detect, and you need to be sure to feed line far enough out toward the middle of the stream to counteract it.

With indicators, another important consideration is that drag can cause your indicator to slow, and the flies to end up downstream of it. Once this happens, your flies are swinging. Unless you're using a shot spread (see: centerpinning), you're NOT getting a drag free drift. You're also going to miss strikes. Note that if the fish are actively chasing emergent bugs, swimming scuds, etc, this can be desirable.

Posted on: 2009/12/1 12:15

From Harrisburg
Thanks Jayl, I appreciate your comments which streams do you normally fish?

Posted on: 2009/12/1 12:38

From Bozeman
Valley creek is my home stream. I make dozens of trips to centre/clinton county every year, and also a bunch to the salmon river in NY. I also fish the berks and lehigh streams when I can.

In general, if I'm fishing for coldwater species, it's one of those places. These tactics have worked everywhere.

Posted on: 2009/12/1 12:43

From Harrisburg
Thanks again , Im defintely going to try the streamer & soft hackle, that sounds like a winning combination ....I have been catching alot of fish recently on a egg patern with a wooly bugger in tandem right behind it, very violent takes!

I was also thinking of trying a shot spread, Im from the UK and I used to float fish using a stick float and a shot spread , biggest shot at the top to tiny ones at the end...I guess though to take advantage of shot spreading you really should be using a centerpin and thats a whole other topic!

Posted on: 2009/12/1 19:22

nymph -emerger trailer works wonders , especially cdc emergers , they ride high in the water , if your flys are riding out infront of indicator on a downstream swing , i space many really small shot out evenly on the line below indie , when your flys are ahead of the indie thats how people miss most of their strikes imo, not sure how others try to remedy the problem but i am sure others do things differently , just saying what works for me

Posted on: 2009/12/1 20:00

From Bozeman
troutslammer,

That's exactly what I meant by shot spread. Good stuff.

Atlantisboy,

Sounds good. Give em hell.

Posted on: 2009/12/1 20:58

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com