Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Ultra selective trout. What do I do ?!

From Northwest Pa
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
I forgot, Lengthen your tippet. I always use at least from my chin to the end of my arm (finger tips) for measuring tippet length. I believe anything shorter is going to limit your chances of catching selective trout.

I had 2 ft of 5X and 3 of 6X tippett with no sucess.

Posted on: 2012/5/27 22:15

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Car battery, problem solved.

Posted on: 2012/5/27 22:20

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

Your probally fishing the correct patterns just in the wrong manor. Here is a syquence to try next time your on the water and mayflies are hatching:

Fish a PT as a dry fly dead drifted, down and across then straight down stream and a slow stripping retrieve.

If that don't work apply frogs fanny and try all 3 above techniques again.

No luck on the above add a small weight 24" or more and try again. Add frogs fanny if necessary.

When bugs are emerging it's all about finding where in the water column fish are eating them. Remember the fish are chasing the bugs they are eating so you need to present yours in the same moving way.

Presentation trumps patterns 10:1 Always.

Posted on: 2012/5/27 22:37

Oh and soft hackles are great to try as well as plain nymphs in techniques listed above.

And going from 6x to 7x can make a world of difference even in cloudy stained water. I never believed that either but now I fish 7x almost exclusively.

Posted on: 2012/5/27 22:39

From either at the tying desk or on the river
Determine exactly what is hatching then tie on a #10 Hair Wing Royal Wulff.

Posted on: 2012/5/31 14:13

From LV
Did you ever see Great White Sharks launch themselves out of the ocean to get seals, they do this every they hunt seals but particularly off the cost of South Africa.

Posted on: 2012/5/31 17:02

From Bel Air, MD
I have been fly fishing for 4 years - tying my own for about 2 1/2. When I first started tying, after mastering the standards (pheasant tails, hare's ears, etc.) I found that I really enjoyed tying soft hackles. Of all the flies I have tied, a gold ribbed hare's ear soft hackle is 14 and 16 have taken more fish than anything else.

On one occasion, I noticed some risers just downstream of where I was swinging a wet fly. It was then that I realized I could target rising fish by swinging the fly just upstream of the rising fish. And when a trout hits a wet fly on the swing, it slams it! When I had repeated success with that method, I then applied that approach to target fish in likely holding areas - at the head of a pool, or at the end of a riffle, or a the base of a submerged log. It amazed me how often the fish are where you think they are. As littlelehigh says, this taught me that presentation was likely more important that the fly.

And the nice thing about soft hackles, particularly the hare's ear soft hackle, is that it can represent a number of bugs in various stages of life.

Posted on: 2012/5/31 23:34

From Northwest Pa
Larry and I swung soft hackles past them as well when we couldn't catch them. No sucess. They would follow them but not take.
Like Becker said the only option left was some juice.
Thank for all the advice.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 6:55

From Phoenixville Pa
I just recently found some trout sipping invisible insects. Whenever I find myself in that situation I fish a 20 or 22 griffiths gnat with varied but usually good results. If that doesn't work I usually just fish nymphs but will try the soft hackle as everyone on here seems to agree is the ticket.

Posted on: 2012/6/1 7:14

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
51 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com