Twisted line?

S

Selfinflictedfunk

Ok....I was fishing on Saturday and I noticed the longer I fished the more difficult it became to get a good clean cast and a roll cast was all but impossible. I also noticed that when I would pull my bugger or nymph out of the water and let it dangle that it would just spin away until it was obviously out of twist in the line. Then I saw some pics my wife took of me and I noticed that my stripped line was twisting to the point of wrapping itself up like an old phone cord used would (remember when phones had cords?).

I'm fairly certain this was the reason for the poor cast...well poorer than usual. Now I've had this happen with the wolly bugger before but never with anything else and it never got to the point to of twisting the fly line itself.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks

What size tippet are you using?

If it's too small, flies will twist your line.

Selfinflictedfunk wrote:
Ok....I was fishing on Saturday and I noticed the longer I fished the more difficult it became to get a good clean cast and a roll cast was all but impossible. I also noticed that when I would pull my bugger or nymph out of the water and let it dangle that it would just spin away until it was obviously out of twist in the line. Then I saw some pics my wife took of me and I noticed that my stripped line was twisting to the point of wrapping itself up like an old phone cord used would (remember when phones had cords?).

I'm confused. Was your tippet/leader twisting or the actual fly line? The first part you make it sound like it was the tippet/leader, but the second part where you refer to "stripped line" makes it sound like it was the fly line.

I've been using a 5X. Actually now that you say that I don't think I have had this issue with the 3x and the bugger.

After 3 years of doing this this is the first time I've had this issue so I automatically started to think it was my cast. This was also my first time using a dropper rig or a strike indicator so I was also thinking it was that.

After seeing the following chart it looks like I'm gonna have to get some new tippet also

found this nice little chart.....thanks to you! Thanks Jay

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=2202

JasonS wrote:
Selfinflictedfunk wrote:

I'm confused. Was your tippet/leader twisting or the actual fly line? The first part you make it sound like it was the tippet/leader, but the second part where you refer to "stripped line" makes it sound like it was the fly line.

Exactly.....I first noticed it was the tippet and leader twisted...then when I saw the pictures I noticed it twisted the stripped fly line as well.

I had a lot of tangles and spaghetti line on bad casts....pretty frustrating day.

If your leader/tippet is twisting, you are using too big/wind resistant of a fly for the tippet size. Simply put, the leader isn’t strong enough to efficiently turn over the fly. This especially happens with fully hackled dry flies. Rule of thumb is hook size divided by 3 equals required tippet size. (i.e., size 12 hook / 3 = 4x tippet)

If your fly line is twisted, it is probably due to less than perfect casting technique and line coils. Don’t sweat it, it happens to everyone at some point in time.

To correct the twist problem go to the nearest fast moving stretch of water you can find, take off the leader, secure the fly line with backing to your reel and literally feed the entire fly line into the current and then hold it tight for about 5 minutes. The friction of the current pulling on the line will naturally untwist the line. Reel in and you should be good as new.

Line coil/memory is another problem. This happens when you leave you line on the reel for extended periods of time. Coiled line can also contribute to line twist.

My recommendation is to both stretch and untwist your line. You can stretch sections of line in between your hands. I’d stretch it first and then untwist it in the water.

GreenWeenie wrote:
If your leader/tippet is twisting, you are using too big/wind resistant of a fly for the tippet size. Simply put, the leader isn’t strong enough to efficiently turn over the fly. This especially happens with fully hackled dry flies. Rule of thumb is hook size divided by 3 equals required tippet size. (i.e., size 12 hook / 3 = 4x tippet)

If your fly line is twisted, it is probably due to less than perfect casting technique and line coils. Don’t sweat it, it happens to everyone at some point in time.

To correct the twist problem go to the nearest fast moving stretch of water you can find, take off the leader, secure the fly line with backing to your reel and literally feed the entire fly line into the current and then hold it tight for about 5 minutes. The friction of the current pulling on the line will naturally untwist the line. Reel in and you should be good as new.

Line coil/memory is another problem. This happens when you leave you line on the reel for extended periods of time. Coiled line can also contribute to line twist.

My recommendation is to both stretch and untwist your line. You can stretch sections of line in between your hands. I’d stretch it first and then untwist it in the water.

Well it sounds then like I may have a multitude of problems and should just invest in a new fly line and start over. It has been on the reel for 3 years now and is probably due a change.

Thanks a ton for the equation for the hook to tippet size. I never knew that little trick.

I gotta admit this sport is a ton more involved than I ever thought but learning it is a blast. Funny how all the frustrations are forgotten when there is a fish on.

Thanks again.

You probably shouldn't be using 5x with a bugger, regardless of twisting. I've seen fish rip streamers right off the line on anything less than 3x.

jayL wrote:
You probably shouldn't be using 5x with a bugger, regardless of twisting. I've seen fish rip streamers right off the line on anything less than 3x.

After seeing that chart and the tips from you guys I'm starting to realize that.

Man, sometimes it feels like two steps forward one step backwards and fall down. Good thing I like learning and am stubborn or I might have given up on this by now.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate all the help.

I agree with Jay and using larger tippet for your buggers. Also you should clean your fly line atleast every month, if not every fishing trip (something I'm bad at). This will help reduce line memory because you don't usually have that much line out and you are straigtening it by cleaning it with the solution and cloth. Will also help your casting by making the line smoother.

ryguyfi wrote:
I agree with Jay and using larger tippet for your buggers. Also you should clean your fly line atleast every month, if not every fishing trip (something I'm bad at). This will help reduce line memory because you don't usually have that much line out and you are straigtening it by cleaning it with the solution and cloth. Will also help your casting by making the line smoother.

Thanks Ryan. This is what was contributing to those few tangles I got that day we were out. I'm starting to believe it's also why my cast just hasn't felt right lately.

Thanks for the cleaning tip...I never thought that it would help reduce memory but it makes sense.

So let me ask you guys this. When your done fishing for the day do you cut the fly off and then wind up the line into your reel? Then unwind it at home or ?

Selfinflictedfunk wrote:
So let me ask you guys this. When your done fishing for the day do you cut the fly off and then wind up the line into your reel? Then unwind it at home or ?

Wind it on the reel, and put it in my room where it will be cool and dry. The perks of not having a live in girlfriend show themselves again!

I wouldn't worry much about winding the line off the reel. I'm sure it helps, but I'm just not that fussy about it. My lines last a pretty long time with what I think is the bare minimum amount of reasonable care. Anything more would be a hassle for me, but then again, if you've seen my car, tying desk, or house, you'd see that I'm not too fussy or anal about things.

jayL wrote:
Selfinflictedfunk wrote:

Wind it on the reel, and put it in my room where it will be cool and dry. The perks of not having a live in girlfriend show themselves again!

I wouldn't worry much about winding the line off the reel. I'm sure it helps, but I'm just not that fussy about it. My lines last a pretty long time with what I think is the bare minimum amount of reasonable care. Anything more would be a hassle for me, but then again, if you've seen my car, tying desk, or house, you'd see that I'm not too fussy or anal about things.

Cool...that's what I do also. I'm finding I may need to rethink what reasonable amount of care is...trust me I'm not fussy either....ask poor Ryan he had to ride in my truck....if I had a hint of care I would have been embarrassed...instead I was just excited to be going fishing!

jayL wrote:
Selfinflictedfunk wrote:

Well Jay, I have a live in wife and my fly tying table, back of my jeep, and section of the garage with my fishing equipment probably looks very similar to yours lol!!!!

BTW I got a nice yellow undercoating on my jeep last week no thanks to PENNDOT. I am still sick to my stomach about it. Got it off the paint, but the undercarriage is a MESS. The worst part about it is my lease is up in a few months and I HAVE to get it cleaned up before then. I'm going to miss my JEEP :-(

ryguyfi wrote:
BTW I got a nice yellow undercoating on my jeep last week no thanks to PENNDOT. I am still sick to my stomach about it. Got it off the paint, but the undercarriage is a MESS. The worst part about it is my lease is up in a few months and I HAVE to get it cleaned up before then. I'm going to miss my JEEP :-(

I was gonna tell you about my 88 cherokee sport (2 door) I had with a 3inch lift but it breaks my heart to talk about it....I loved that truck.

I had the same problem with the tippet until I realized the tippet was too small.

A few years ago, I was watching a fly fishing show on tv. The last five minutes of the show had a casting segment. The first thing the instructor reccomended was stretching the fly line. He pulled the line out to the backing and held the end of the fly line (at leader) while an #OOPS#istant stretched it at the half-way point. I try to do this everytime I hit the water with a friend to keep my line straight.

Thanks GreengWeenie for the idea of using the current to straighten the fly line.

http://www.jeep-comanche.com/jeep-comanche-pictures.asp

Still have my 88 Olympic Edition, Comanche Short Bed

Now that is a truck

Sounds like a truck

Rides like a truck

Loves snow like a truck

Just like the top picture but no high fog lights, mounts are there though

If it makes you feel any better, my Expedition got a blast of white polka-dots in the rear wheel wells and under-carriage courtesy of the same folks.

Yeah, tippet too small and/or long for the fly you are using. Sometimes, an unbalanced fly (one wing longer than another, for instance) will do that to any tippet. Best solution is to fix the problem, use a more balanced fly, a bigger tippet, or a shorter tippet. Sometimes, in overly demanding situations, I opt for the longer tippet and live with the problem. For a while you can alleviate it somewhat by running the tippet through a leader straightener, or even your fingers, to get the twists out. Eventually, though, you just replace the tippet.

Back