Storage solution for 'big meat'

wgmiller

wgmiller

Since I've gotten pretty involved with musky fishing, I've struggled to come up with a good portable storage solution for my flies. I have a large 'boat box' (ArtBin homemade box) that works for storing flies, but nothing that was portable that would fit in my Orvis sling pack. Musky flies can be a real treat to handle since many of them are articulated and have hooks in opposing directions, etc., etc.

I went to my 'old reliable' and came up with a solution that works really well. For $3, you can have a nice box that will store flies up to 8"+/- in length that are full of fluff. I now have boxes that are portable and handle my musky flies. The same boxes could be used for any 'big meat' fly such as streamers, etc.

The supplies were purchased from a local Michaels craft store. I checked A.C. Moore, but they didn't have what I wanted. The box is roughly 5"W x 8"H x 1" D. I looked for the link on the Michaels site, but couldn't find it. The foam is roughly 1/8" thick self-adhesive backed sheet foam. Again, all told the components were about $3. The foam sheet will do two boxes FWIW.

IMG_20131103_102857_287_zps117176a6.jpg

Items 'as purchased'

IMG_20131103_105530_080_zps46d8deee.jpg

'As assembled'

5b09e436-3c1f-4ff2-834e-4007a22ffa99_zps36f80e31.jpg

Voila!

I did something similar with an art pencil box and foam from Michael's crafts.

Looks good wg. Any success with the teeth yet?

I've got one 'pinned down' on the Susky and have hooked him once. I know where he and his friends live, so it's just a matter of time. They will follow, show themselves, and even strike, but bringing one to hand has eluded me thus far.

I want to get up to the Swatty to do a bit more exploration. My gut tells me that the best musky water is from Middletown to Hummelstown...

Sounds like you're off to a decent start. They're not easy to even locate. I agree on your thoughts about the Swatara. Let me know if you run into one down there.

Back