Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Small stream fishing and landing nets

From Pittsburgh
Always always always! (except steelhead) IMO a net is one of the most important parts of your gear setup. When the fish is at your feet that is when the most is going on, you are focused on many things (camera, hemostats, surrounding obsticles ect.) it is easy to let a little slack in the line and "pop" there goes the fish you almost caught.

I also dont particularly like keeping my fish out of the water. And a net lets you take your time with the release.

They are worth the hassle in my experience.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 9:22

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I bank a lot of steelhead, but I think a net is almost more important for them than for trout.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 11:23

From Bozeman
I only feel like I need a net if I am taking pictures. And I only feel like I need to take fish pictures when something is wrong with me. A fish is a fish is a fish, IMO, and I won't carry a net for the sake of photographing one. The big ones occasionally get a camera phone pic, and I usually regret not having a net then, but it's rare.

I carry a brodin ghost because it was free, it's beautiful, and because the rubber mesh is functional. If/when something happens to it, I'll go back to being netless.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 11:26

Edited by jayL on 2011/6/3 11:56:45

From Pittsburgh
Ryan,
I personally bank land steelhead. Also steelhead nets are... big. And i have not found one in my budget that is very streamline/ easy to carry.

Jay,
It all depends on your style and system.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 15:40

From Bozeman
I think that's the base assumption in every post I've ever made. Which is why I stated mine.

Posted on: 2011/6/6 10:37

From Toona
I have been flyfishing for over 10 years, and can count on one hand how many times I've used a net. I agree with Jay on this one: main function of a net is to show-off fish. Sure I lose some fish at my feet now and then, but it doesn't bother me. I debarb 99% of my flies so 99% of the time I don't lose any flies and I don't have to handle the fish.

If I was a competion flyfisher like some folks I'm sure my views would be different. In that case its all about getting the fish in as quick as possible and any advantage helps, I'm just guessing here....

Posted on: 2011/6/6 13:14

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com