Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Sharpening Hooks

Here a few questions:

What tools do you use to sharpen your hooks? How do you those tools- any tips you can pass along?

How often do you sharpen your hooks? I realize it would probably be after you caught several fish or got snagged- any others?

Any additional thoughts?

This is something I have really not done.

Thanks

Posted on: 2010/2/9 14:48

Re: Sharpening Hooks

From Bozeman
Paul,

I only find it necessary when at the salmon river. The rocks are brutal up there, and I am using a lot of lead, as well as fishing for large fish with with tough mouths.

I use a simple steel file, and hit them after each snag or fish.

I carry the file with me when trout fishing, but rarely are my hooks overly dull.

Posted on: 2010/2/9 14:52

From Richfield, PA
Big streamer hooks can get dull fairly quick. Especially after you pull'em out of a log.

Some years back Cabelas had some Tiemco hook files in the bargain cave and I snatched some up cheap. I keep one in my fishing pack and one at my tying desk. They are only like 3" long. Really portable and lightweight.

Posted on: 2010/2/9 15:05
Ephesians 4:32-"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you"

http://www.paundercurrent.com/
http://paundercurrent.blogspot.com/

From Montgomery County
I have a file on my nippers and can count on one hand the amount of times I've actually used them to sharpen a hook. If I can't fix it with the back of a nail, it'll end up on the bottom of a stream. An exception might be a streamer with a dollar of materials and some time put into it.

Posted on: 2010/2/9 15:11

From Richfield, PA
A nice thing with streamers is that you are usually using a heavy tippet which cuts down on losing them. They are about the only fly that lives long enough for me to sharpen.

Posted on: 2010/2/9 15:13
Ephesians 4:32-"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you"

http://www.paundercurrent.com/
http://paundercurrent.blogspot.com/

From Bozeman
I think I've lost four streamers in the last season, and three of them were from a drift boat in Montana.

I've retired probably a dozen for dull hooks or frayed materials. I agree, a hook file is a nice to have for streamers. Now that you mention it, I've used it before when I was on my last of a certain streamer and the hook went dull.

I'll add that I'm not sure the file helps much at the salmon river. Two years ago, on my first day salmon fishing, I went 0 for 6. While 0 for 6 is a pretty standard success rate, I was still pissed enough to seek a solution.

I had no evidence that dull hooks were the culprit, but I got a file and started using it religiously. The next three days were insanely successful, so I'm not going to change any time soon.

Posted on: 2010/2/9 15:18

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I have a hook file and home, and occasionally (and I mean very occasionally) go through and sharpen some of the flies in my collection.

I do not carry the file with me while fishing. If it comes to that I'll switch flies.

Posted on: 2010/2/9 15:20

From Lewistown
I use a hook file too.

Posted on: 2010/2/9 17:36

From Dispositionally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
I have several thousand older Mustad hooks that I still tie with from time to time. They always get sharpened prior to use, even if in reality its only for religious reasons.

All other hooks (all chemically sharpened), I fish without sharpening

Posted on: 2010/2/9 18:03

From aliquippa
when i`m tying i have a ceramic file that i sharpen the hooks before i start tying , on the stream i carry a small round one with a groove in it, its about the size of an ink pen

Posted on: 2010/2/10 8:30

Okay, thanks.

Any difference to sharpening a smaller hook vs a large one?

Posted on: 2010/2/10 10:06

From Chester County
Really no need to sharpen chemically sharpened hooks out of the box. They are very sharp! On occasion I will sharpen a hook on the stream when it gets dull on the rocks. I carry a small hook file.

Posted on: 2010/2/10 10:48

From Hollidaysburg (originally Lititz)
I have sharpened wooly bugger hooks on the stream before. I use a small file and just give it a few quick swipes on each side of the hook. I usually only carry 2 of each color wooly buggers. On a day that one particular color is working well, I may need to sharpen hooks in order to due to the abuse that comes with using one or two flies all day.

Posted on: 2010/2/10 14:14

From Gettysburg
I'm a real stickler for sharp hooks.
Like Rleep, I still use some old Mustads for streamers and bass flies and will flatten their barb and sharpen them before they go in the vise to be tied. For this, I use a diamond knife honing stone that stays on my tying bench. A fairly fine grit diamond honing stone does a much better job getting a super sharp point on fish hooks than any file I've seen or tested. I got in the habit of using diamond stones years ago when I wanted a hair shaving edge on archery broadheads and soon found they put an extreme point on fishhooks. A smaller 1"x3" diamond stone stays in my vest for streamside sharpening. I also sharpen most saltwater hooks before tying too.
Afish is right about the small, chemically sharpened trout hooks - they're fine right outa the box.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 15:03

From Pittsburgh
I can't say I've ever sharpened a hook on-stream...
I've done it at home with a metal file, but never on the stream.

Posted on: 2010/2/11 16:19

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
122 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com