Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: safety: fishing rough, remote topography

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Great thread.

I'm getting more into remote fishing and one stream in particular my wife worries about me fishing. I've fallen a few times and once I didn't see a crack in 2 big rocks and one leg slipped down all the way to my thigh... could have easily broken a leg. Now I try to fish that stream with someone else just in case. I always have food and water on me on any trip. I usually wake up early and don't want to eat that early, but after some hard fishing I realize I need some nourishment. I know I should carry some other things that were mentioned in this post, so thanks guys!

Ryan

Posted on: 2011/2/1 11:59

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
I would say the most important thing is letting someone know where you are and when you will return. If your plan changes, call (if you can) and let someone know. Also, in your vehicle, you can leave a note as to where you plan to travel. That would give rescuers a direction in which to search.

I think this is THE best way to keep safe. The fact of the matter is that in PA, you are rarely if ever more than a couple miles from a road. Usually much less. If you are able to walk out of the woods, you willl. If you are not, someone needs to know where you are to be able to find you.

Knife, *lighter, map, water, a bite to eat, dress accordingly and let someone know all the areas you are likely to be. If you have a cell phone, take it and make sure it is charged.

*If my life depended on it, I would rather have one Bic lighter than 50 boxes of matches. Check to make sure the lighter works ahead of time of course.

Kev

Posted on: 2011/2/1 12:26

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
In most brookie excursions, the cell phone is next to useless.

As you already know, I don't take as many precautions as you. I do try to let someone know where I'm gonna be and when I expect to return. Especially if I'm meeting a PAflyfisher there for the first time, cause ya never know, he could be an ax murderer or something. :)

On longer trips far from the car I try to take some grub and drinks, and a waterproof lighter. The grub and drinks are nice to have anyway, they make it more enjoyable. The lighter is very light and not a nuisance. Though it certainly wouldn't be a good experience, I could make a fire and spend a night if I had to.

Should probably use a metal container for my water, that way you could boil creekwater over a fire if you need more... I don't. I figure straight creek water will suffice in a pinch. Yeah, within a few days you'll develop the %^##s and need to see a doctor to rid yourself of the giardia and other nasties, but I can't foresee a situation in PA where you're gonna be in the woods that long. I'll take giardia and doctor's visits over dehydration and death.

If I have a heart attack or something, well, I guess I'm SOL if I'm alone.

Favorite line I got from Gierach, but pull out once in a while....

Wife or boss asks: "How can I reach you?"

Answer: "You can't"

Posted on: 2011/2/1 13:11

From perkasie
I do alot of remote hunting and fishing in areas without cell phone access and wouldn't be without my Spot. Since I am gone for a week or more at a time this allows me to send preset messages to people that I am OK. Recently I have been renting sat phones as well to be more in touch.

Posted on: 2011/2/1 14:02

From harlansburg
an emergency whistle is good to keep in your fishing bag/vest as well. they can be heard for miles, much further than you can yell.
some good old common sense goes a long way also. plus some basic survival knowledge.

Posted on: 2011/2/1 16:25

Favorite line I got from Gierach, but pull out once in a while....

Wife or boss asks: "How can I reach you?"

Answer: "You can't"//quote-ditto head here

Posted on: 2011/2/1 19:01

From Mont Co, Pa
Well, cell phones aren't totally useless in area's where YOU can't get a signal. Most cell phones today have a "Location" setting on them. On mine at least, you go to "Settings and Tools", then to "Phone Settings". Then you choose "Location' and your phone is set. If you don't return home at a pre determined time/day your kin calls the Authorities and they can somehow determine your basic location via your phone. I believe it works something like that. Perhaps someone who knows more about how it works can explain it better.

Posted on: 2011/2/1 19:50

wildtrout,

Many phones have a GPS chip, even if they don't have the software. Yes, IF YOU HAVE CELL COVERAGE, the phone will tell authorities where you are.

GPS chips recieve info from satellites to determine your position, but don't transmit to them. Thus, to tell the authorities, the phone is still using the cell phone towers. They typically have a 911 setting, so that if you call 911 it automatically goes into that mode and the authorities get to track your phone. Even if you don't call 911, if they have your phone #, they can activate it and track you up.

The required coverage for the system is less than you need to make a call. So, for instance, if you have crappy coverage, not enough to make a call, this might still work. But if you have absolutely no coverage (phone says "no service"), the phone ain't gonna do nothing for ya. Unless they have a portable tower or something they can temporarily set up if they know the general area, which is possible.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 9:50

From Mont Co, Pa
Thanks for the info pcray. Good to know that.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 9:58

Actually had that happen once. Broke down (lost the tranny) in the middle of I-80 in western Nebraska on our way to Idaho. Didn't have the # of any tow services or anything. So we called 911 and splained the situation.

Operator said she'd send a squad car to take us into town and make arrangements. Didn't ask where I was. When I mentioned something, she said she already knew where we were. As soon as I hung up, phone started vibrating and flashing 911 mode. Cop was there in minutes. The moment he came in sight, the phone went back to normal.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 9:58

The whistle is an excellent suggestion. Can hear the whistle from a further distance and much easier to whistle versus yelling out. Didn’t think too much about this stuff at times during my younger days but I can now look back and be thankful nothing real bad ever happened while out in the wilds.

If I may; since it is the dead of winter, here is a story of one of my good buddy’s outdoor misfortunes.

My bud was climbing on a rock formation alone about a half a mile or so from a remote parking area, when he had a fall. This was pre-cell phone days and he was not roped up (being a complete hard head) while practicing a move that he had done multiple times that evening. He became too tired to make any additional moves. He was about 20 feet up with a rock jumble below him. After some deliberation, he made the decision he could no longer go on and was about to take his chances with dropping out. Well, that did not go well; as his ankle hit a rock and was shattered.

Could not fathom the pain he was enduring and the fact that he still had a long way to go before this episode was to conclude. He could not stand and was already tired from the climbing but I guess he was working on adrenaline. He realized that his only option was to crawl his way out to the car before total darkness. To make matters worse, after he crawled some distance he realized he had left his keys at the rock and had to turn back to get them. Uuggh! He told me his foot would hit the ground every time he moved and the pain was excruciating. The worst part was he had to crawl down a bank of a small creek, cross and up the other side holding on to everything he could grab.

He did eventually make it out to the vehicle before complete darkness but his coup de grâce was that he had a stick shift-ha. Finally he managed to pull into the Connellsville hospital and honked his horn till someone came out. He now walks with a very pronounced limp and a cane some 20 years later. I think some of the true life emergency shows have contacted him but he never followed up on those. Unreal.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 10:28

From Pittsburgh
You never realize how serious those situations are until you experience them. You take your chances until your chances run out...then you learn the value of preparation and restraint. Funny how a simple thing like forgetting your keys can become so serious.

Hope your buddy is progressing.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 10:39

From florida
Quote:

albatross wrote:
Does anyone have/use a SPOT (Satellite Personal Outdoor Tracker)(http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/6636)?

Modest 100-150 investment for the hardware and another 100 annual for communication service. it would give my wife peace of mind while I'm out by myself.

Good advice Alby.Gave one to the brotherinlaw ,he's a kayaker and goes in some crazy places.had bypass surgery as well.ACR makes a unit,$350 or so, I don't think it needs an annual fee,I really think I'll get one for the boat,etc.
I'd say that not being macho and going it alone also would be my advice.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 11:26

I have an uncle who is a photographer. He basically hunts with a camera.

He had a similar misfortune, broke a leg way back in. Made it out a little over a day later, I guess some crawling, some one footed hopping, etc.

Posted on: 2011/2/2 13:10

Thanks, great discussion. I have added a small first aid kit with bandaids, aspirin, and tylenol; a mylar blanket; and water treatment tablets from Eastern Mountain Sports. Also, a small Bic lighter -- I don't smoke and didn't realize there are 2 sizes.

And, these new items just required me to get a new vest, bummer :)

I will also do more to let my wife know where I'm headed, and skip solo trips to rougher ravines when there is too much snow and ice.... My last trip was great, but a bit hairy on the way in:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22661054@N00/5310389511/

Posted on: 2011/2/2 16:56

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com