Recycled Fly Boxes

NateFollmer

NateFollmer

This project started when I noticed all the empty chew cans people were throwing out at work. We also get a ton of 'self healing' foam as packaging material and I thought that could be put to good use instead of getting thrown out. This doesn't work for all types of chew cans, but the ones I found are all plastic and work great. I don't know if anybody even cares LOL but it might spark some idea's for others.

Very good idea. I quite chewing snuff about 14 years ago after a 25 year habit. One of the best but also hardest things I have ever done. It required alot of will power. Sounds like a good use though for all the empty snuff cans.

Thanks! I like to travel light when I pack flies so 3 of these should cover my needs. Used to chew myself too... I put most of a can in my mouth one day and swallowed, I can't even smell it now without getting sick. Makes it hard to gather these and get the smell out!

Glad to hear you quit. It is a very unhealthy bad habit. I chewed "Copenhagen". Heh only the best! Ha!

They just switched to metal lids with plastic bottoms so I use their cans ;)

AND THEY FLOAT!!!! been doing that myself for many years and i swear by it , you can get 1000 stickers at Staples for $3.00 and lable them too. GOOD ONE.

I ordered some flies from BlueFlyCafe.com a couple years ago and they shipped in clear plastic snuff cans that I still carry. I like to throw my bigger stuff in them like streamers and big stone nymphs - it let's me carry a much smaller and slimmer fly box for everything else.

Too bad I chew Copenhagen though - stupid cardboard...

That's a genius idea. I'm not a smoker or chewer, but I know if I put a bin in the manufacturing area at work I'll be able to collect them.

Thanks for the great simple idea.

Thanks!

dreamsofstreams I think Cope is switching to plastic bottoms now (I have 2 of them). You'll be in luck soon enough :)

I don't chew i smoke so i have friends save cans for me. Another one that works is the plastic containers that electrical tape comes in. Make friends with an electrician and ask them to save the containers for you they are a little bigger but flatter. How about Altoid mints those little metal boxes they come in are sure handy for things. Another one that comes to mind is film containers but i guess that's already obsolete.

Yeah, the Altoids tins are what really sparked this idea. A fellow blogger (Functioning Fishaholics) made boxes out of those and I started looking for something I could use. Seems like everyone here chews, so it was a perfect fit. The Camel SNUS tins make cool little boxes too.

Nate........if you work around an electrician , try those tape containers , they go through alot of them and they make nice boxes too , they will hold Clousers and Buggers , streamers better than the chew cans , but they are too flat for dry flies , they crush the hackles.

if any of you need a cans, I think i have a few to pass around

IMG_0270.jpg

started collecting on xmas day haha.

Steve.......I hate to sound like your mom but......you should cut back some. I shouldn't talk i smoke a pack and a half a day but being a parent of 2 myself i just can't help my self ..... sorry but.........gum works for me especially when i'm fishing.

My gosh! That's a lot of chew LOL osprey, thanks for that tip, we have 2 electrician's here at work... Never even thought of those things!

osprey, I know man i know.. i appreciate the sentiment.

Right now, I'm more worried to kicking opiates from three past surgeries and a herniated l5/l4 that has me pretty dependent on oxy, especially to throw fly line for a few hours, wading in some tough spots. I am on a very very slow taper... 1/2 a mg every week. any more and I suffer extreme insomnia, which I cant afford w. my class load here at college. I have came down from 80 mg a day to 30mg, and to some that seems nuts, but it's been a struggle for me. Not a pity party, just a warning to those in the same boat. Stay off the things if you can.

sad part abgout it is, i'm only 24, and have all these dang physical ailments to deal with, but I don't let it slow me down a bit, and suprisingly, I'm in incredible shape. 5'10'' 190, not shabby for 3 shoulder surgeries and the discs.

also, my dentist tells me my gums are somewhat suffering, but my teeth, to his surprise, are iin incredible condition as well. The only reason I go through so many cans is I only get 3 to a can. My father has chewed for 30 years, and has no mouth problems... maybe i'll luck out just as he has.

WOW......Like i always say there are no coincidences , everything happens for a reason , which might not be clear at the time , but if you pay attention sometimes you see the "method in the madness" I'm on my third day without the OXY's ....15mg's every four hours....hate it beyond belief...so i quit. This is not the first time i've stopped so i know what i'm in for and i know what you are going through and wish you well. My worst crutch is tobacco , i smoke a pack and a half a day. I quit for over two years after my accident at work and then i fell off the wagon. I feel bad now for mentioning the chew cans , if that is what you do to cope with everything else then i have no room to say anything except I'm sorry and let you know that if i can help inany way just holler. If you soak those cans in warm water the labels will come off easier and they sell like 1000 small labels at Staples for a couple $ in colors that make it possible to do your own labels , also a sheet of foam will make eight inserts , don't throw the scrap away it's great fly tying material. KEEP ON FISHING!!!!!

thanks man, best of luck to you as well!!

since we are so local, we'll have to make it a point to meet up this coming season. Keep an eye out for a pm!

I'd love to wet a line with you somewhere , i can tell by the pics you post you get it. Laurel Highlands is just west of you c'mon over. Lots of trout like in those pics , except maybe the rainbow not so much. Be looking forward to it.

Back