Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Recycled Fly Boxes

From Lewistown
This project started when I noticed all the empty chew cans people were throwing out at work. We also get a ton of 'self healing' foam as packaging material and I thought that could be put to good use instead of getting thrown out. This doesn't work for all types of chew cans, but the ones I found are all plastic and work great. I don't know if anybody even cares LOL but it might spark some idea's for others.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Posted on: 2011/2/26 14:54

Re: Recycled Fly Boxes

From Clinton County, Pa.
Very good idea. I quite chewing snuff about 14 years ago after a 25 year habit. One of the best but also hardest things I have ever done. It required alot of will power. Sounds like a good use though for all the empty snuff cans.

Posted on: 2011/2/26 16:58

From Lewistown
Thanks! I like to travel light when I pack flies so 3 of these should cover my needs. Used to chew myself too... I put most of a can in my mouth one day and swallowed, I can't even smell it now without getting sick. Makes it hard to gather these and get the smell out!

Posted on: 2011/2/26 19:02

From Clinton County, Pa.
Glad to hear you quit. It is a very unhealthy bad habit. I chewed "Copenhagen". Heh only the best! Ha!

Posted on: 2011/2/26 19:50

From Lewistown
They just switched to metal lids with plastic bottoms so I use their cans ;)

Posted on: 2011/2/26 20:42

From Johnstown, PA
AND THEY FLOAT!!!! been doing that myself for many years and i swear by it , you can get 1000 stickers at Staples for $3.00 and lable them too. GOOD ONE.

Posted on: 2011/2/28 7:27

From Pittsburgh, PA
I ordered some flies from BlueFlyCafe.com a couple years ago and they shipped in clear plastic snuff cans that I still carry. I like to throw my bigger stuff in them like streamers and big stone nymphs - it let's me carry a much smaller and slimmer fly box for everything else.

Too bad I chew Copenhagen though - stupid cardboard...

Posted on: 2011/2/28 16:28

From Pine Grove
That's a genius idea. I'm not a smoker or chewer, but I know if I put a bin in the manufacturing area at work I'll be able to collect them.

Thanks for the great simple idea.

Posted on: 2011/2/28 20:23

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

From Lewistown
Thanks!

dreamsofstreams I think Cope is switching to plastic bottoms now (I have 2 of them). You'll be in luck soon enough :)

Posted on: 2011/3/1 10:43

From Johnstown, PA
I don't chew i smoke so i have friends save cans for me. Another one that works is the plastic containers that electrical tape comes in. Make friends with an electrician and ask them to save the containers for you they are a little bigger but flatter. How about Altoid mints those little metal boxes they come in are sure handy for things. Another one that comes to mind is film containers but i guess that's already obsolete.

Posted on: 2011/3/2 6:42

From Lewistown
Yeah, the Altoids tins are what really sparked this idea. A fellow blogger (Functioning Fishaholics) made boxes out of those and I started looking for something I could use. Seems like everyone here chews, so it was a perfect fit. The Camel SNUS tins make cool little boxes too.

Posted on: 2011/3/2 12:32

From Johnstown, PA
Nate........if you work around an electrician , try those tape containers , they go through alot of them and they make nice boxes too , they will hold Clousers and Buggers , streamers better than the chew cans , but they are too flat for dry flies , they crush the hackles.

Posted on: 2011/3/5 6:43

From Southwest, Pa
if any of you need a cans, I think i have a few to pass around

Click to see original Image in a new window

started collecting on xmas day haha.

Posted on: 2011/3/5 19:17

-Art Lee

From Johnstown, PA
Steve.......I hate to sound like your mom but......you should cut back some. I shouldn't talk i smoke a pack and a half a day but being a parent of 2 myself i just can't help my self ..... sorry but.........gum works for me especially when i'm fishing.

Posted on: 2011/3/7 6:16

From Lewistown
My gosh! That's a lot of chew LOL osprey, thanks for that tip, we have 2 electrician's here at work... Never even thought of those things!

Posted on: 2011/3/7 10:36

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
151 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com