Protecting a Smaller Tippet

M

mario66pens

During the winter I fish small midge nymphs quite often. To fish the smaller nymphs (size 20-24) I need to put on 6x-7x tippet. Unfortunatly the bigger brownies and steelhead dont agree with it and it often breaks. Would it be recommended to make the tippet as short as possible from fly to leader? would that increase strength?

I couldn't imagine fishing for steelies with 6 and 7x.

But if that's what works for ya -

Using a shorter piece of tippet isn't going to make that section any stronger.
However, using a longer rod should help.
I bought a 10 footer several years ago - and it definitely has a little more give to it

I agree, if you even have to go to 5X with steelhead, it is time to go to the bar. All you can do at that X is to tire the trout out to death. And God forbid you take 30 minutes to do so while everyone nearby has to watch their line in case your catch decides to take a run.

Pretty hard to hit the bar when you're 20... but could I fish a bigger midge then perhaps on 4x, winter steelheading is tough without midges and small nymphs

I think you can get 4X through most hooks, at least down to #20.

midges for steelhead ? last time i was up the midges weren't hatching so i didn't use them. size 12 egg patterns work everyday on the tribs and they are easier to tie on when your hands are cold. i would invest in some 6lb flurocarbon and forget all the x crap !!!!

1. I agree with others, 6x and 7x is just ridiculous for steelhead. I typically use 3x and will go down to 4x if necessary. Beyond that, yeah, it may help you hook up more often, but you'll lose a lot more too and its just not worth it to leave hardware in all of those fish. I've heard of people using 5x, though I wouldn't do it. I've never even heard of anyone using 6x or 7x. I won't use 7x on regular sized trout!

2. If the tippet is mono or copolymer, then actually, a LONGER tippet will help protect it, assuming you can keep it from twisting up, which weakens it. Mono stretches, so having a longer length is like a shock absorber. Same idea as a soft rod tip, which also helps a lot.

3. Keep your drag set light.

4. I'm generally not a proponent of flourocarbon. And yeah, it has no stretch, so in using it, you lose that shock absorption factor. But I do often use it in steelhead fishing. I think this might be one instance where fish actually become line shy, where flouro is an advantage, rather than drag shy, where its a disadvantage. If it allows you to go with a larger tippet, say 4x, then that extra strength will more than offset the shock absorption penalty and is well worth a try.

5. If your problem is the line not fitting through the eye, first, I've never seen a hook that 6x won't fit through, so that still wouldn't explain 7x tippet! And second, there's a pretty good variety of hooks available, I'm sure you can find one with an oversized eye to tie your midges so that you can get 4x or 5x through.

I have never fished below 3X flurocarbon for steelhead. I can't even imagine fishing anything below 4X. I also can't imagine holding a steelhead on a midge hook.

I'm sorry but I have never heard of anyone until now fishing 6 and 7X with midges for steelhead.

I used 6x the one year it was very low and clear. I did in fact put more steel on my rod and more steel to hand. But so many lost and as Jack said, you start to feel guilty about the other fisherman because you just cant bring them in fast enough.
Best solution I found was going to flouro even though I hate the tendencies of that product.
I couldnt believe the stuff. I'd snag one and try to snap it off, and the steelhead would come at me tail first.
Its worth its weight and price for steelhead.

Back