Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: no fish for me

From Petersburg, Pa
A buddy of mine called me a retard cause I put a split shot on my nymphing setup. I told them a lot of people do. Am I right or wrong?

Posted on: 2009/6/9 21:14

From Limerick, Pa
When I first started fly fishing I bought books, I talked with other fishers, and I read a ton on the internet. To learn knots I had some string I kept by my desk and practiced while I was at work. I also took a beginner FF class at the local school for around $25. The last class was a field trip to the Little Lehigh outside of Allentown. Worth every penny as I picked the instructor's brain and had him work with me on presentation.
Biggest thing to getting better is to get on the water as often as possible. Different situations demand different strategies. Learn to read a stream. If you were a fish, where would you go to conserve energy, get a good food source at the same time and be protected? If I couldn't get on the water I would practice casting in my yard. If you can afford it, get a personal lesson or two. It could save you a lot of frustration and halt bad habits before they begin.
The folks on this board can give you tons of suggestions which is awesome. Nothing like real world experience though.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 22:42

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

Chetty82 wrote:
A buddy of mine called me a retard cause I put a split shot on my nymphing setup. I told them a lot of people do. Am I right or wrong?

A lot of people do. I tend to use much less weight when forced to nymph than I ever did fishing bait. My splitshot are much smaller and except for the fastest water, I usually only use one.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 22:52

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
You have to use enough weight to get to the depth the fish are feeding at. I think most nymphers err on the side of too little weight.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 23:13

From Tyrone Pa
Yea. Skipper(Joe) wants me to go walleye and striper fishin. And I actually picked up my first fly rod when I was 14, and went fishin with my best friend for bass and bluegill. (MAN that was a long time ago!)
I always enjoy catching smallies, either on a spinnin rod or a fly rod. EXCITING!

Posted on: 2009/6/10 12:04

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
122 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com