need a long rollcast but don't have room? check this out!

krayfish

krayfish

This will take practice but boy can you sling some line doing this.

Yeah, no kidding. I mean, that guy's REALLY good at it, and he's also using bigger equipment, so he's really bombing it out there an impressive distance on big water. But regarding the basic mechanics behind it, you mean everyone doesn't use this? I do it all the time on small streams and it's my main cast to get distance in tight places.

I never knew the name of it and always called it a "snap" cast. And described it as a regular cast/roll cast hybrid.

In the simplest form (shorter casts) it's simply regular casting, but rushing the forward cast. i.e. you start a normal backcast, but then you do the forward cast as the line gets to you, NOT STRAIGHTENING OUT BEHIND YOU. This requires a weak backcast, i.e. just kind of throwing the line up in the air before the forward snap.

If you need more distance, you do the same thing, but first pile the line on the water in front of you to add water resistance, like a roll cast. But you need some slack so that the backcast isn't moving the anchor. Like before, you start a normal (weak) backcast and rush the forward power cast, before the "anchor" even comes out of the water. You have yourself a roll cast with a large D loop and some line momentum going backwards, hence more power. The downfall is that laying that line in front of you takes an extra second or two, and if there are rocks or sticks around your feet it tends to catch.

I never practice the roll cast because it looks so easy. I guess that's why I'm not very good at it.

One way to position the line for the roll cast version is to precede it with a weak traditional roll cast that doesn't turn over. i.e. cast your fly line without lifting the leader and fly. Your leader will point back towards you. Now start a weak backcast and snap it forward.

Meh. Basic switch rod voodoo. I would like to know what line he is using though.

I use this (although I would have had no idea what it was called) a lot of times while night fishing. I've got a general idea what is in front of me, but less idea what is behind me, compared to the day, so I end up compensating by using this cast.

This thread is a better fit with Tips and Tricks and will be moved shortly. Good videos however.
Thanks,
DW

That has a name? I'll never be able to remember tongariro so I'll probably just continue calling it "that thing."

I guess I will be practicing that over the ice tonight!

Thats a Kiwi "cast".
http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/forums.html?ForumID=0
Check the Freshwater Fission section.
GG

PennKev wrote:
Meh. Basic switch rod voodoo. I would like to know what line he is using though.

No, not there as it would have been impossible to mend at that 80'+ distance. That is down by the white boulder and not under the bridge!!!!!! I was testing the latest Composite Developments 6# XLS 2 rod before it is going into production and was very impressed with its performance. Best rod CD has ever made and at the RRP of $499 is hard to beat by anyone. Line was an #8 Airflo Ego with a 64' head.
We caught plenty of fine fish in other pools and it is a great relief to see that the Taupo fishery has finally recovered.

Rainbow

Tried it last week when on the Delaware. Works pretty darn good. 2 tungsten nymphs, 3/4" bobber and Rio gold on 10' rod. Tried demo for my buddy and it you could pretty easily get 40' + out on a rollcast.

GG, have heard of kiwi cast but didn't know what it was. I'll use this from time to time for sure.

learning how to do a one-handed spey cast has been extremely valuable for me when I need to make long casts with limited back room.

Back