Magnetic net release and smart phones

barrybarry

barrybarry

I often like to carry my phone in a plastic bag when fishing. I also have a magnetic net release. I've been pretty careful about the two of them getting close together yet it happens.

Put your vest on the ground for a break and the next thing you know they aren't that far apart. Anybody have any thoughts on the subject?

(I would imagine a digital camera would fall into the smart phone category)

I have one and carry my phone and have never had a problem...what problem do you envision?

Both my phone and my camera have leather cases with a magnetic flap closure.

Each magnet is strong enough to pick up my keys - I have a rather large bunch of keys on my key ring.

Never had a problem with either device....

magnets can wipe memory, cause damage, or so it's rumored. I've heard of cell phones erasing the ability to swipe a credit/debit card. Maybe a good suggestion for all of our wives...

Dont think its a problem. Phones are made to not be erased by magnet I'm pretty sure, as there is a magnet in most speakers like in your phone. That's why a phone will erase a room key card at a hotel, don't know about a credit card. I'm pretty sure the memory in your phone is protected though.

- all info in this post is guesstimate and poster will not be held liable for any lost contacts or fishing photos.

Magnets are evil and dangerous and to be avoided at all cost.

Witchcraft.

Sounds like I might be worried about nothing. Thanks all.

JackM wrote:
Magnets are evil and dangerous and to be avoided at all cost.

Fear mongerer! ;-) ;-)

Don't be terribly concerned. I don't have specifics for you, but I have tangled with both (and often!) and have seen no adverse effects.

I used to perform magnetic partical testing. The testing device was strong enough to stop my watch but never effected my phone. They were both in my pocket to try to avoid the watch issue from happening (again).

What good is the phone if you're woried about ti getting wet, dropped, or exposed to a magnet while fishing. I'd take the phone out only if I had a medical reason to. Otherwise leave it in the car. Or keep the phone in your pocket in the bag.

I'd prefer to leave mine in my car while I go fishing. I hate incoming calls while I'm enjoying myself. Only once did I forget to take it out of my pocket while wet wading. It kept repeating itself.

Not sure about magnets. I wouldn't take my phone near huge industrial magnets, but a net release? No problem.

My phone is waterproof, shockproof, and the whole bit. I take it fishing, but sometimes silence it. It's my watch!

Back