Looking for a camping tip.

Acristickid

Acristickid

How would you rate the campground at Ole Bull State Park?

Showers? Better campgrounds close by?

Thanks for any help.

I'd guess it would be okay - I've only visited OBSP, never camped there. Most PA state parks have good camping with good amenities. Sometimes the campsites are crowded and a bit close together but I'm almost always happy with our state's campgrounds. You might be able to view pics of the campground off the DEP website (if you haven't already tried this).

FI- will do.

Reading the "Landis and Meck books etc..." has placed thoughts of fishing different waters acorss the state in my mind.

Just getting some feedback to aid in the early planning stage of possible fly fishing trips. We in PA are only limited by our imaginations and time.

acristickid wrote:
FI- will do.

Reading the "Landis and Meck books etc..." has placed thoughts of fishing different waters acorss the state in my mind.

Just getting some feedback to aid in the early planning stage of possible fly fishing trips. [color=FF0000]We in PA are only limited by our imaginations and time.[/color]

You have an abundance of both, Kid.

Why don't you set up a plan to fish each region of PA, and have PAFF member(s) meet you on your journey. Sort of like the guy that fished all 50 States. That would be cool. :cool:

You never know.

Akid,

I've never stayed there but I have visited, it seemed to cater a bit too much to trailers and RV's for my tastes, but they could have a tenting area or something.

I have camped at Cherry Springs, just a little to the north, and it is a very nice campground for tenters, and its centrally located to the Allegheny, Pine, Kettle, and First Fork drainages, which makes it a great location for a fisherman who wants a variety of fishing experiences. There is a catch. Stargazers and events.

On a normal night, the stargazing field and campground are separated so you don't have to worry about fires and such, but you do want to keep them in mind and not shine flashlights or headlights in that direction. It's not a big deal. If anything I like walking a lawn chair over and looking up for an hour or so. But the park also has some major events, like 1 or 2 yearly stargazing "parties" and a woodsman's show. Thousands descend upon this campground at those times and those weekends should be avoided like the plague.

PC- thanks. I will ask before making my reservations. Gotta do a traditional fly fishing PA trip- spending too much time on the limestones. (if there is such a thing)

FWIW, I just googled it, and the Cherry Springs Star Party is June 10-13, the Black Forest Star Party is Sept. 10-12, and the woodsman's show is Aug. 6-8. I don't know of any other major events but that doesn't mean there aren't any, ask first. Keep in mind that while those nights are the official nights, I'm sure some come early or stay late just like we do with the jam.

While those crowds are ridiculous (in the thousands), any new moon night is going to draw a fair stargazing crowd (maybe 100 on a weekend). Moonlit nights generally bring only a handful of stargazers, so its less of a problem. And the observing field is across the road from the camping area, with a line of roadside pines separating the two, so interaction is minimal and you just have to show them a little respect, which isn't a big deal.

Assuming a non-event night, fires and lights are permitted in the camping area, but maybe skip the bright lantern. Don't shine the flashlight in that direction. If you drive in after dark, they ask that you turn off your headlights when you get close. The bathrooms are shared between the campground and observing field, so put a red filter on the flashlight for nighttime bathroom trips. This all sounds kind of ridiculous, but once your there its not a big deal at all.

i`ve camped there twice , very clean bathrooms and showers, nice camp sites, i recommend it

ole bull, cherry springs, lyman run are all nice campgrounds. a little to the east is sizerville, camping along crowley run, also nice.
just be careful if you drink alcohol, the rangers have been watching people like hawks, never used to be a problem as long as you weren't obvious about it.

I am usualy at Ole Bull from the last week in march until the end of the the first week in June. The park has very nice rest rooms and showers. There are Quite a few tent sites there. This park get's very full for the Early part of trout season so if you plan on going there you should get a reservation in very soon. I looked at the reservation calender on the DCNR web site several days ago and there did not seem to be many openings for the opening weekend. If you do decide to go up there look me up.

Okay- thanks for the good information.

Yea- I gotta get on this.

Will do on the look up too. Thanks.

Fished Kettle and at least one other stream in the area- probably 10 years ago- coming out of Keating Summit where my buddies camp is.

Check your PM.

Check your PM I will be sending you some info in a few.
Justin

Thanks guys.

I will be there April 24-27. Been staying there about that time for 5 or so years. Nice place, clean showers, quiet, and nice people.

Never stayed at Ole Bull but there was a nice primitive campsite at the 144 bridge over Kettle Creek called the Bunnell Pines at the time you needed a permit , you could get in Cross Fork.

Back