Long Distance Casting

Fredrick

Fredrick

I'm trying to cast all my fly line on my 5wt but I can only get about 80' of it out so far with double hauling is there any extra tricks that are out there, that can help me get that extra ten feet of line out ?

Cut 10 feet off the back side. Then you will be able to cast the whole line. As an alternative, if the fish are 90 feet away, but you can only cast 80 feet of line, trying wading 10 feet closer. I doubt the fish will mind at all.

The secret is to scream "I AM THE ALPHA MALE" right as you begin the forward haul.

LMAO guys I'm serious I want to climb this mountain.

Fredrick wrote:
LMAO guys I'm serious I want to climb this mountain.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. Try casting from a mountain top. The loop can be wider and the timing a little off and the line won't hit the ground. Plus, if the mountain is high enough, the air will be thinner and provide slightly less friction/resistence, thus enhancing line-speed.

jayL wrote:
The secret is to scream "I AM THE ALPHA MALE" right as you begin the forward haul.

So far I'm going to try Jay's Idea

JackM wrote:
Cut 10 feet off the back side. Then you will be able to cast the whole line. As an alternative, if the fish are 90 feet away, but you can only cast 80 feet of line, trying wading 10 feet closer. I doubt the fish will mind at all.

You beat me to the punch. When I read the post, bout 10ft off the line was my 1st thought.

This thread goes into the classic file. Right next to Jack hiding in the corner of his garage on the cheatin ol lady and noticing a hairline fracture in one of his rods.

try a stripping basket, maybe even one of those collapsable ones, make sure your line is clean, and maybe you need a faster or longer rod. A diferent line may be the answer as well - i never could cast the whole line on a 5 wt, except for when I used a sage TCR line, and that was only in the grass and never in a fishing situation, even from the boat. Only other thing I can think of is check how you are hauling, the shorter the strokes the more effiecient they are - try keeping your left and right hands as close a possible while hauling.
WF 7wt on up I could cast a whole line from the boat. Wade fishing I could cast a whole line with shooting heads but was usually on the rocks. Now, put yourself in a fishing show setting with a casting pool and no wind or obstructions to worry about, I'm sure you could do it. Lastly, maybe take your rod to orvis or SG and see if one of the staff can watch you to see if anything can be improved upon.

I'm humbled and shamed...my best casts are like 40-50 ft with a 5 wt......

If this kid can do it you can . You guys should all be ashamed of yourselves getting bested by a 13 year old :p

I found this video it has some things on it that I'm going to try

Whats up with the switch rod?

I still have it why ?

Those those switch rods ripped out the line.

If your getting an 80 foot cast your probably lining a dozen trout.

PoconoPuke wrote:
If your getting an 80 foot cast your probably lining a dozen trout.

Don't think fred's too worried about trout.

GlockMan wrote:
Learn to cast correctly

...................................Elaborate ........................................

Uh... get your stops, hauls, acceleration and timing in order and the line will cast until the friction of the line and gravity stop it from going further.

GlockMan wrote:
Uh... get your stops, hauls, acceleration and timing in order and the line will cast until the friction of the line and gravity stop it from going further.

I'm sure timing has a little to do with my dilemma ?

So what did you work on the most for you to cast out your hole fly line ?

Back