Knot for fly-to-bend

troutpoop

troutpoop

I've been using an improved clinch for tying my 2nd fly to the bend of my first. Is anyone else using a different knot that may be faster or more efficient for this purpose. The knot often slips off the bend when I'm tying and I have to start over. Not a big deal but just wondering if there is a better knot for it.

Thats what i do but im not an expert im interested to hear what others do as well
adam

I use a Trilene Knot (which is a type of clinch knot). I set my finger on the outside of the bend. Make my 2 wraps around the hook and my finger and the wind and finish the knot. I have no issues with the line slipping off the bend that way while I'm tying.

Though I don't often fish this kind of rig, I just tie a clinch knot (not an improved clinch) to my finger, slide it off while holding the tag and standing end together, and transfer it to the hook bend. Then just pull the standing end to tighten the knot.

It helps if the tag end is kinda long, so it doesn't slip through the loop as you tighten it.

Works for me...

I used to tie off the bend, but last year someone showed me that he ties the dropper from the eye of the top fly. Since then, I have used this set up and I like it. Still use the improved clinch knot on all flies.

if I am nymphing I use a tippet ring and tie two pieces of tippet to the ring......this would be akin to leaving a long tag end on a blood knot or surgeons knot. I find it allows me to change the top fly much more often.

If I am going dry dropper then it is always inline....I have tried tieing off the eye but I find that line will fowl my hackle/deer hair/cdc or whatever I have for the wing of my dry and cause it to float ugly....this might actually look better to trout but I can't stand it....so long story short I use improved clinch knot off the bend but I pinch the start of the knot and hook of the dry between my fore finger and thumb and tie the rest with my other hand.

if I am nymphing I use a tippet ring and tie two pieces of tippet to the ring......this would be akin to leaving a long tag end on a blood knot or surgeons knot. I find it allows me to change the top fly much more often.

If I am going dry dropper then it is always inline....I have tried tieing off the eye but I find that line will fowl my hackle/deer hair/cdc or whatever I have for the wing of my dry and cause it to float ugly....this might actually look better to trout but I can't stand it....so long story short I use improved clinch knot off the bend but I pinch the start of the knot and hook of the dry between my fore finger and thumb and tie the rest with my other hand.

I tye the clinch between my hands, moisten then slip over the hook and tighten.

I have to try me some tippet rings.

I used to tie off the bend, but last year someone showed me that he ties the dropper from the eye of the top fly. Since then, I have used this set up and I like it. Still use the improved clinch knot on all flies.
Interesting! Do you use a continuous tippet - tie off the 1st and then onto the dropper? Has your hookup ratio changed?

Thanks!

To use a clinch know I grab the hook of the fly very tightly before starting to tie. I also make sure the barb is crushed so I don't hook a giant fish when tying the knot.

Like you, I had trouble tying tippet on to the bend of the hook for tandem rigs. If you carry hemostats, try this trick:

I still use it from time to time; hope this helps.

Just leave a long tag end when tying on the first fly. Tie the dropper to that.

This is the knot I use and never had a problem. It saves alot of time and tippet all you need to do is pull the tag end to remove the dropper,coil it up and store it until you wanna use it again. You can store it in a small zip lock bag or a round (puck style) plastic container. Think pink bubble tape container.

P.S......I don't use the hooks just the knot.
http://vimeo.com/28162777

delta_dog wrote:
This is the knot I use and never had a problem. It saves alot of time and tippet all you need to do is pull the tag end to remove the dropper,coil it up and store it until you wanna use it again. You can store it in a small zip lock bag or a round (puck style) plastic container. Think pink bubble tape container.

P.S......I don't use the hooks just the knot.
http://vimeo.com/28162777

Good tip, DD

Hopefully I can remember that the next time I want to throw tandems out there.

Both are Good ideas!!! Now I hope I don't forget them:) Thanks!

Thats a slip knot - you don't need the 2nd foldover,

who on earth uses open hooks like that in this century ?

I do it the way JoeBamboo does it and it works just fine.

I used the method with the hemostats, worked great! Thanks!

Biggie wrote:

I tie from the eye now too... for two reasons.
1) Easier to tie for the reasons you stated.
2) When I originally used the dropper system tied from the bend, I noticed an increase in missed hook sets when a fish would take the lead/indicator dry fly. At first I thought it was a coincidence. Then, quite a few years ago, I mentioned the missed hook sets on PAFF. An English gent posted and told that the leader coming off the bend was at times preventing a clean hook set, depending on what angle the fish would take. In other words the leader would slightly push the fly from the fishes open mouth. I tried tying to the eye and voila, no more problem.

Yes, what greenghost said.

Back