Keeping the wading staff out of the way

B

Bearski

I bought a wading staff last year and have used it somewhat frequently this summer. However, while i like how easy it folds, i do find it tedious to fold it and unfold it. Also, i havent found a good out of the way spot to store it while fishing when im not using it. I find myself just being lazy and letting it sit on rocks right next to me, but i feel like this is dangerous if i let the rope get tangle up in my feet.

Any thoughts and/or advice?

The wading staff I use has a wrist strap with an adjustable plastic buckle. While fishing, I usually just tuck the wrist strap under my wading belt on my left side and the buckle helps to keep it from slipping out. Other times I just let the staff drift downstream while attached to my belt on the leash.

That’s a good question I’d be interested in hearing what others do. I’ve seen this product online, not sure if it works.
http://www.gearkeeper.com/flyfish/wadingstaffretra.html

Good question, when you find the answer let us all know.

I use a FolStaff and shorten the leash with a knot. I tuck the thing behind me, upstream so it leans against me. Sometimes I poke the tip in the streamed and kind of lean on the handle.

Just run the lanyard over your non-casting shoulder, and let the staff hang down your back.

I attach the lanyard to my wading belt/back support belt, so this keeps my Folstaf's handle between my shoulder blades.

Feather-Craft sells a diving lanyard that works very well. Only $20 too.

Hopefully the link below works. It helps me keep the staff tucked away despite being at full fishing length.

https://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?store=feacraft&action=display&target=LI003

I have a telescoping staff that I hang from a carabiner on my vest. That pretty much keeps it handy, but out of the way too.

Anyone use a wooden staff?

sdwaters wrote:
I have a telescoping staff that I hang from a carabiner on my vest. That pretty much keeps it handy, but out of the way too.

Pretty much what I do, works out well

I have a line tied to my staff and the line attaches to my wading belt holster. Parachute cord works good. I take the pole out and leave it out. So the staff hangs about 18" to 24" off my belt and when I am fishing I just let go of the staff and it hangs there and the tip is in the water, and it pretty much stays there kind of like a rudder I guess. And if I don't need it I just let it drag along with me as I fish. Once I take it out of the holster I don't fold it up until I'm done fishing or back at the car. I use it as a hiking trek pole for the walk back to the car too because by that time I'm pretty worn out and need the pole for walking.

Just be careful with your wading staff. 4 weeks ago today I fell on mine while it was still folded up in the case on my hip. I thought I had broken ribs and finally went for x-rays last week. The x-rays were negative for a fracture so I am up preparing (drinking prep) for a CAT scan and MRI to be done at 7;30 this morning to see if my liver was damaged. I had to cancel out of a steelhead trip for these test.

Although the stick gets in the way at times of my flyline, there were a couple of times last weekend that I wish I had brought mine. Came close to falling in about 5 times. Lost a glove with an insert, drop another set but managed to retrieve them. Spun myself a couple of times to keep my balance.

Just remember steelerfan - the older you get the longer it takes an injury to heal. Lower back injuries are the worse and seam to take forever to heal.

Good news came back today that the CAT scan showed no fractures to the ribs and the liver and spleen are ok. Looks like I might get back on the stream next week. Yes, I will have my wading staff with me. I never leave home for fishing without it.

Just remember that a little soreness on the finger does not mean you need to get your prostate checked.

Glad to hear all is well. I started using a staff after I fell and ripped my knee open while wet wading. It looked like a shark attack. I used a stick To hobble home and it took a number of months to heal.

My staff is wood. Just a stick with the bark peeled off it and a little poly. I just let it float in the water behind me. It is not a bother and it only occasionally gets in the way. Far less intrusive then limping around for 6 months.

It might result in prostate exam when the results show possible other problems may exits. Just got home from meeting with oncologist. Need another CT scan on Friday. Maybe fishing will be on hold. Back to oncologist on Monday. Maybe fall was a blessing in disguise.

wood one with a magnetic net coil and safety line in case coil line breaks. made from genuine beaver chewed sticks with a metal bottom and a hex head screw with epoxy to bite into rocks.

Attachments

• DSCF5297 (400x276).jpg
    DSCF5297 (400x276).jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCF5298 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF5298 (400x300).jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCF5300 (400x300).jpg
    DSCF5300 (400x300).jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 8
That's a fine looking staff. Why complicate things that don't need to be complicated.

My wading staff is a repurposed aluminum ski pole with a nice contoured rubber grip, robber tip. Attached to my wading belt
with a coil lanyard. I drilled several small holes around the lower
third. this allows it to fill with water,sinks the tip and keeps it out of the way of any loose line.total cost about twenty bucks including the lanyard.

I have the same ski pole set up. I had to drill a couple of holes just below the handle to allow the pole to drain when I lift it.

Back