Ideas for Storing Dry Flies

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

Looking for wisdom on the best box for keeping your dry flys. I have stored some in the boxes with foam slits and the hackle tends to get distorted. They are easy to see and pull individual ones out. But some have bent hackles. Do you educated fly fishers use the boxes with compartments and forgo the slit-foam boxes for your dries? Is ther another solution? Thanks in advance.

I have all my dries in Wheatley boxes. I have about 5 of them. They are expensive as heck, but I got lucky and got 4, including a 32 compartment one (all from the 70s) in a lot of used flies for a stupid cheap price.

I like them a lot, I carry a pair tweezers in my bag, or use my hemos to get specific flies. The major draw back is they arent even close to watertight.

I only use the slotted foam boxes for nymphs and for streamers.

Yea I had that problem too. I use compartment boxes for all my dry flies now. I'm sure there are nicer options, but the compartment boxes come in lots of shapes and sizes, and are generally pretty cheap, and as long as you don't stuff the compartments too full, the hackles keep their normal shape.

I like C&F slit foam boxes which leave a open row so that hackle doesn't get crushed. Even then it only works up to about #14 or so. For larger dries I have a cheap Plano box or two. Works great. I do like the organization and accessibility of the C&F (and knock-offs), but the Planos are dirt cheap and get the job done well.

I carry a round 6"metal canister, about 1 1/2" thick. I use tweezers to pick them out. After each trip, they are washed in clean water and hung to dry on tree-stand I made. I try to bring along sizes and types that I need for the session and store my collection in plano boxes at home. People may think it my method seems like a p.i.t.a. but it works for me and my flies last as long as I want them too.

The wife got the canister at somewhere like Potterybarn or something like that about 10 years ago. I found in the basement about 5 years ago and stopped dealing with the fake wool/foam stuff about then. I got the idea from what Lee Wulff used to carry that I read in a magazine. To each his own, good luck.

I use the compartment trays in my Downstream chest box for dry flies.

wheatley sell ABS dry fly compartment boxes with the metal fixings and lids.

probably the best value, but not easy to get.

i have small box of attractors, a small box of caddis, and a larger box that i rotate duns and spinners

I use compartment boxes only

I would not recommend the newer waterproof boxes for long term storage. The flies will rust especially if used. I recently bought a lot of flies from the forties and fifties stored in Perrines that were used and still useable. The metal boxes such as perrine and wheatley are heavier. But, I love them and the perrines come in varous configurations. The #92 is very slim and holds alot of flies. The size 12 to 16 dry flies tied Catskill style with full hackles are best suited for this box. The smaller sizes may slip from the coiled springs and the larger may crimp the hackle somewhat. The #100 has the compartments. I have used various boxes and chest boxes Richardson and Downstream. They work nice as well if you like the chest box. Ultimately the choice is yours but I strongly recommend the old school boxes. If you drop a waterproof box in the water you will have to chase it as it floats downstream, another downfall.

As an addendum to stenonema's comment, fi you dunk these boxes, they will drain easily, but as a general rule I've gotten in a habit of opening up the box and all the compartments and letting the boxes dry out overnight to avoid rusting.

Make friends with an electrician and ask them to save the empty tape boxes , anything that won't crush hackle , smokeless tobacco cans with the labels peeled off r good.

I have the aluminum/metal boxes, the plastic/foam insert boxes, individual compartment box type, all work just fine. Sure the hackle gets a little matted at times. I guess it matters, but not really sure. Seems to me the more some of my flies get beat to slop and look like cripples they catch more fish. A lot of times when a hatch is real heavy and fish are really keying in on the actual bugs. I'll get my nippers out and hack the fly of the day up just enough to have it look the same but different. Sometimes It's not what's pretty to us that catches the fish. Sometimes those pretty ones are better left on a picture presentation in the office for people to ohhh and ahhh over. I like a good look'n bug on the top of the water as much as anybody but, just not sure it makes all that much difference. Far as keep'n um pretty. The individual box compartments are one of the best for keep'n um look'n store bought or homemade and never used.

A part of keeping dry flies in normal shape is to make sure they are dry before you put them in the box. Waterproof boxes will keep moisture in and create rust.

I'm not sure if I haven't put enough thought into this or if you guys are making this harder than it really is.

Dry flies (in bulk) - stored in 10"x12" plastic compartment boxes. You can find them for a few dollars. The hold a pile of flies without smashing the hackle.

Dry flies (in vest) - small / cheap compartment boxes that can be found at Gander or Cabelas for $5-6. Consider stream I'll be fishing and the hatches I'd expect to see that time of year and fill one or two boxes accordingly. 4 boxes are dedicated full time...one for sulphurs, one for hendricksons, one for march browns and one for olives.

Dry fly storage / organization...cheap. Don't over think it. :)

Attachments

• fly box one.jpg
    fly box one.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 9
  • compartment box.jpg
    compartment box.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 9
Krafish..Good recommendations. Photos of plastic storage boxes for bulk. I bought a small version of them that fits in my vest that I use for poppers.

I would also recommend support of the mom and pop shops first if there are some n the area. Although you may get a cheaper price at Cabalas - you would also/more than likely spend much more because of the abundance of items available. When I go there I am like a little child in a candy shop.

I'm a big fan of these compartment boxes. You won't find cheaper single compartment boxes out there. They're pretty small and fit in most bags/vests.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=441754

I found some pretty good storage boxes that I use from Home depot.

http://www.paflyfish.com/smartsection.item.120/fly-fishing-boxes-and-the-pain-my-dentist-brings.html

Back