Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

How often do you foul hook a trout?

If I would have just found this site today my screen name would be foul_hook_king (or rainbow king) well maybe not that latter for the fear of interprutation but anyway.

How often do you guys foul hook trout nymphing. I seem to get at least one today 2 on every outing lately. First one was border line he actually took the fly, it went through his left gill and was lodged in his side 2" behind the plate.

Although I am not proud of bringing a foul hooked fish to hand, on a positive note I think at least I'm achiving getting the fly to the proper depth and into the right current. As a newbie who is happy with 1 fish an outing is this wrong?

I foul hook and recognize takes but miss setting the hook and can't seem to legitimately catch fish consistantly.

So my question is this. Is this a stage or was this a stage you went through and how did you overcome it? As far as not setting the hook I don't think it is due to dull hooks although I will be sure to check them out more frequently in the near future. I feel the tension so I don't think slack line is the cause either.

A typical senario for me is this: Line drifts, indicator stops or line goes tight, I feel the shake and fish is gone?

Any fixes or suggestions you guys can think of?

Posted on: 2009/8/30 23:20

Re: How often do you foul hook a trout?
From Gettysburg
As one who does a lot of sight nymphing I'll admit to foul hooking fish - although, obviously, I try to avoid it. And of course you can foul hook fish while blind fishing (and even fishing dry flies, if you miss the hookset when the fish takes the fly). A few tips to mitigate/manage this:

When sight nymphing, stick to smaller flies. I think if you drop down to #16 and smaller you'll get fewer "snags" than with #14s and up.

Be careful with lifting your back cast - do it slowly and give the fly and leader plenty of time to drift well past the fish you're targeting. A slow lift after a drift thru a run with allow any trout to shake free from the leader or split shot and make it less likely the hook will hit him and penetrate deeply.

If you discover you've fouled a fish, try throwing him some slack and try shaking the hook loose. Barbless hooks help a bit with this. If it's a small fly and a big fish that will be difficult to land, I'll usually break 'em off.

When sight fishing, leave off a strike indicator. With your leader clear of obstructions (and with small split shot) you can strip your rod tip down to the fish and do a tip release.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 8:22

From Bozeman
I do it now and then. It usually only happens when I fish multiple flies.

I've found that a large portion of my foul hooked fish actually took one of my flies and threw the hook after getting fouled.

If you're fishing multiples, measure the distance from mouth to where the fish is hooked. Compare that to the distance between flies, and you'll probably find the same.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 9:40

From Glenmoore PA
Never thought about that scenario, seems to make sense though. Now that I think about it, it only happens when I fish multiple flies. Genius.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 10:09

Albie Jay.
Makes sense especially since I am having trouble setting the hook and I've been dragging them in backwards.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 10:50

From Harrisburg PA
It will happen to everyone from time to time. Don't sweat it! I have also found this more common with multi-fly rigs, but I use them 90% of the time in spite of this.

Posted on: 2009/8/31 11:26

From chester county
I foul-hooked one sight nymphing once because I pulled the trigger a little early. I saw the trout flinch and then turn a little towards the nymph and as soon as it opened its mouth just a tiny bit I set the hook and I guess I yanked it up away from the corner of its mouth and into its face. hook somehow ended up near the front end of the eye on the side that was facing me.

The fish got real pissed and immediately turned and jumped two feet out of the water downstream, turned and bolted upstream faster than I've ever seen a trout swim. Luckily he was just a little 8 1/2 incher so he couldn't pull any line. Couldn't believe the speed of that little guy!

Posted on: 2009/8/31 17:01

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Yeah I'm with Jay... I foul hook a decent amount of fish when using a tandem... especially when steelhead fishing. There's so many fish, that it's tough not to especially in low and clear conditions. I'll try to go to 1 fly, but sometimes you just can't help it. It comes with the territory.

You'll learn to get your hookset at the right time as you keep learning. We all still do it, so don't sweat it. Just try to get the fish back with as little stress as possible.

Posted on: 2009/9/1 11:58

Use code "paff" for 15% off.

From pittsburgh
i get alot of foul hooked fish from 2 flies a soft hackle hares ear and a clouser and i thought i was the foul hook king wheew

Posted on: 2009/9/8 20:58

-me

From North Central PA
I foul hook one or two a year when I'm swinging a brace of flies or have a few tandem. Usually the trout come out ok. I feel like crap when I do it....

But it happens... so far when I release them I haven't seen them go belly up. They seem to swim away pretty strong.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 13:37

From Lewistown
I foul hook about every trip; sometimes it is more frequent.

It always happens to me with a multiple rig and it's always the bottom fly. This leads me to think that the first fly was taken and the second gets stuck. Using the pressure of the second the fish pops out the mouthed-hooked fly. This all usually happens once the fish goes downstream of me and I can feel it happen. It would probably happen less if I put more than 8 in. of tippet between flies.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 14:45

From Bozeman
I have actually watched a fish throw the first hook, while the second was in his tail. It was a steelie, and he did it about 2.5 feet in the air. My top fly was a bright globug, and it was clear what had happened. I didn't believe he was still on until he took off about 100 yards downstream and showed me my backing.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 14:56

From York
The important question is: Since the fish hit one of your flies, is it technically fouled hook? You could think of it as a stinger hook while bass fishing.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 15:04

From Greensburg, PA
If its hooked anywhere but the mouth its foul hooked and MUST be released.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 15:20

From Dallastown, PA
Anything hooked ahead of the ears is a fair hooked fish.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 18:56

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
153 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com