Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: How often do you foul hook a trout?

I have never foul hooked while nymphing. In fact I have never foul hooked a fish period since I started fly fishing but since I only nymph the answer doesn't change. I also fish double nymphs almost all of the time. Why not send this to a poll?

Posted on: 2009/9/23 23:23

From South Jersey
I am pretty much an exclusive dry fly fisherman. I rarely foul hook trout, but I can't say "never."
Salmo

Posted on: 2009/9/24 14:52

i think if u increase the lenght of line btween the point fly and dropper it DECREASES your chances of foul hooking , alot of time i will watch a trout curiously check out a nymph and swim and kinda circle the emerger or whatever the dropper is and if it hits the line it will twitch the indicator or slack line with no indicator and u set the hook and get a foul hook , i think alot of foulf hooking also comes from impatient premature hook sets , give em time ! sight fishing also sometimes causes guys to yank before the fish hits , especially steelheading ~!

Posted on: 2009/9/25 19:53

From Montgomery County
It only happens when I'm nymphing multiple flies and they're never fouled from the top fly, only the second or 3rd so I'll agree with jay and kern. My guess is they come up to take a look or eat my first or second and then the foul occurs when they refuse or throw the first during the fight. My fouls are almost always in the stomach, sometimes in the tail.

Posted on: 2009/9/30 15:35

From West Chester, PA
A lot, especially with nymphs. When I use a dry-dropper system, it seems like everytime a fish comes and bumps my dry, I end up foul hooking on the nymph. It's a hollow victory; I didn't catch it the right way, but at least my family wouldn't starve if they needed the food.

Posted on: 2009/10/4 13:02

From Upper Saucon, PA
The only true foul hooks I see are when I head up to the Erie tribs for steel head. Then more times than not you are fishing to a pod, trying to get to the female so sometimes you end up grabbing a male in the side and have to un-foul him and go back at it.

Posted on: 2009/10/17 9:52

From Johnstown, PA
Years ago on Donegal Spring creek in Lancaster co. i foul hooked a muskrat , i thought i had a huge brown on till he climbed out on the other bank and started up the hill , and what trout could reach down and grab the line and bite it off?

Posted on: 2009/10/18 7:23

I have never foul hooked a trout. I make sure they eat before I set the hook.

Posted on: 2009/10/18 21:01

From Lansdale Pa.
I have recently stopped fishing with an indicator and my foul hook ratio has increased dramatically. Takes awhile to get use to seeing the more sutle movement of the line vs. the indicator.

Posted on: 2009/11/3 13:42

From Bozeman
Quote:

noclue wrote:
I have recently stopped fishing with an indicator and my foul hook ratio has increased dramatically. Takes awhile to get use to seeing the more sutle movement of the line vs. the indicator.

Fishing without an indicator is the best way to clothesline em.

Posted on: 2009/11/3 13:44

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
122 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com