hemos

jabink84

jabink84

i dont know if anyone has tried this but if you know someone that works at a hospital they can hook you up with hemostats pretty easy.

My sister works as a nurse anesthetist and when they have to get new ones( which is pretty regular) she brings the old home for myself and my brother and dad. we just got about 20.

might be worth asking if you know someone. i tend to lose them often so it can get pricey.

Thats where I usually got mine, but have started ordering better hemos from sierra trading post. They are only a few bucks, more sturdy than the hospital hemos, and come with nice little features such as eye reamers. Just remember to throw a set in when you are ordering something else.

I still have and use many hospital hemos, since I rarely know what happened to mine.

Also ask for used suture kits
I brought home about a dozen when I had my surgery

I work at a hospital - maintenance - and used to get all the hemostats and scissors that I need from nurses that I know.
However, lately, times have been tough. Lots of cutbacks, and all supplies like that have to be accounted for more strictly.
So, I've been buying mine now

Whistles quietly....Nothing sharper than suture removal scissors for tying...

And I need new scissors too!

Got ya covered!

I have a bunch of scalpels on my tying desk. I also have some have some medical hemostatic forceps. They are not heavy enough for fishing, but are just right for picking up beads to insert the hook.

Beadssssssssssssssssss, if anything in fly fishing was designed specifically to drive me nuts, it's those damn tiny beads and tiny hooks. I've dropped so many I think there has to be bugs sitting on them in my tying room waiting for them to hatch!

Yeah, my mother is a nurse. I have hemo's for life. Yeah, they're more strict than they used to be and she'll be retiring soon, but I think the stockpile in the basement will last. :)

Like sunglasses, I can be trusted to lose about a pair per year. Unlike sunglasses, the hemos are likely sitting on a streambottom somewhere (I usually sit on the glasses and break em).

Curved tip hemo's are MUCH better than straight tipped, just in case anyone hasn't had them before.

My wife also works at the Hosp, so I have a life time supply. I have straight ones curved one scissors. If you rin into me be glad to give you some.

PaulG

there`s a very large flea market near me { rogers ohio } and one vendor sells nothing but hemos , nail clippers and scissors, he has hemos from 6 inch length to 16 inches, all for a few dollars each

Rogers is world famous. Well maybe not, but used to be the place to get "stuff" as a kid. Fireworks, bb guns, baseball cards, knives, semi-illegal stuff. Now it's all regulated and stuff. Haven't been there in years. The traffic through my hometown on a "Rogers" day at least doubles.

Back