Green Weenie

salmo

salmo

I have fished the Green Weenie in various sizes from 16-12, bead head and regular. I have fished it on various Green Weenie waters all without success. I usually fish it upstream dead drift with or without an indicator. Never caught a trout with one. I'll admit I am not a great nymph fisherman, but have been improving. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

salmo wrote:
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Keep trying, they really do work. Are you getting stuck on the bottom every now and then?

No, not really. Do you think I need more weight?

Yes, if you aren't getting snagged every now and then, you probably are going right over the top of the fish. Try adding a little weight until you are getting snagged once in a while. If you are snagging every time, probably too much weight. It may not be the only answer but it is certainly worth a try.

The other night I fished for 1.5 hours on a local wild trout water and used a beetle/nymph dropper combo. Had one hit on the beetle in 45 minutes. Changed to a weenie with a small indicator and caught 9 fish in 45 minutes.

They should be outlawed.

My friend fishes the green weenie every time we go out. He always catches fish with it. I never do. He just lets it drift in the current with a few tugs ever now and then.
He swears by them and I swear at them. :)

I don't use green weenies very often but so many people rave about them that I should.

My tip for nymphing is to watch either you line tip or indicator to monitor whether your nymph is going slower than the surface of the water.

The surface speed is faster than the speed of the current on the bottom so if your line tip or inidcatior is going at the speed of the surface, your nymph needs more weight to get it down so it can be ticking or rolling along the bottom.

Basically, you just want to see the foam, leaves, etc. floating past your indicator as your fly comes back to you.

Shock

Count me in the camp that never has success with them. I catch enough fish on other subsurface patterns to say it's the fly, not the fisherman.

There are days in central PA when the fish seem to hammer the weenie almost exclusively. I think everybody thinks the green weenie is stupid until they have one of those days.

Don't know where you live, but go to Clarks Creek and use the weenie. You will be a believer. You can fish it on without weight, weighted, or tied off the bend of a larger dry. Doesn't matter it will work. Green weenie=crack to CC trout.

+1 on the Green Weenie as a "go to" fly on Clarks, it can salvage almost any day on that creek.

I use a bead head green weenie every once in a while, and let me tell you, trout go crazy for that. I usually stand along the edge of the creek I fish at and roll cast upstream in some rushing water. I fish it with and indicator, and I catch a lot of fish. I personally don't like it for that reason, it's too easy. I usually use it as a fail safe, or just for fun.

Good Luck! :D

I fish Sinking Inchworms (the old name & no tail) like a terrestrial, just like you would fish a beetle pattern. You walk upstream and plop it down in likely looking pools, pockets, near cover, etc. Don't use a "bobber."

The trout often hit it on the drop, just like a beetle or other terrestrial pattern.

But they sink, so you just let them drift on down and watch for a strike. Trout often hit them hard.

You will see inchworms hanging from the trees from when the leaves first appear until the leaves drop in the fall.

In the early season the inchworms are small. But in the summer they get much bigger. They must be a very tasty snack for the trout.

I think trout in streams with a tree canopy get really keyed in on inchworms in the summer. They don't just take the Green Inchworm, they attack it.

I'm for the green weeni. Always check your weight and drift like the other fishers said. And yes i like to fish them under stretches of tree canopies.

The success of the GW has a lot to do with stream conditions and the intensity and angle of the sun. Under the right conditions it is deadly and under the wrong conditions it will actually spook fish. Same for the pink and red SJW. Actually this applies to all colors not just those particular flies.

There is a scientific reason why certain colors are more apt to work at certain times and if you read up on light and wavelengths you may be able to conclude the why and realize when you should use certain colors.

GreenWeenie wrote:
The success of the GW has a lot to do with stream conditions and the intensity and angle of the sun. Under the right conditions it is deadly and under the wrong conditions it will actually spook fish. Same for the pink and red SJW. Actually this applies to all colors not just those particular flies.

There is a scientific reason why certain colors are more apt to work at certain times and if you read up on light and wavelengths you may be able to conclude the why and realize when you should use certain colors.

Do you have any links? I foresee Googling this troublesome.....

Has anyone tried them fishing in the West?

And are they popular around the world, such as Europe, UK, New Zealand, Argentina etc.?

troutbert wrote:
And are they popular around the world, such as Europe, UK, New Zealand, Argentina etc.?

They are now, Dwight.

At the Youth Championship here in 2007, a recommended list of flies was passed to all the teams when they arrived. The Portuguese team didn't believe the green weenie was real. After the last day of competition on the Little J, one of the kids from Portugal asked what the green weenie was. A kid from the UK cut the green weenie from his leader and handed it to him. The kid from Portugal threw it on the ground in disgust, because he still couldn't believe it worked.

The UK team finished 3rd. Portugal was last. They know now...

sender, when I get a chance PM coming

GreenWeenie wrote:

I will not say I disagree with this because I have no basis in fact to do so. That said, I can't say I've found this to be true in my personal fishing experience. I've had great days using the inchworm (my version of the GW) when it was sunny, cloudy, rainy, off color water, clear water, etc. I can say I have not had sucess when there are no leaves on the trees. It's a good fly to have in your arsenal and my GO TO fly when searching in the spring through mid fall. However I know people that use the GW year round with success.

Back