Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Flying w/fly fishing equipment

just got back from the usvi

flew there and back, with (2)54 inch rod tubes, they never said a word. wife had one, i had the other. went through customs on the way home

they didnt even count it as a separate item. we both had a carry on and a backpack(personal item)

also flew out to bozeman a few years ago, same deal

they wont hassle you

BTW, packed my flies on the carry on both times, feared losing them in the checked luggage, no problem there either

dont fret it, go have fun. what are you fishing for, where you fishing at?

Posted on: 2013/6/4 8:28

Ship it. Chances are you'll have to pay extra for your gear bag, so just ship with a courier ahead of time.

I don't know what people feel the need to check, or carry on, their equipment. Using a courier will give you the benefit of a guaranteed delivery date, plus the ability to insure you items from damage/theft/misplacement/etc.

Posted on: 2013/6/4 8:41

From Philadelphia PA

Went to Colombia (South America) with two fly rods 2 years ago. 4 piece work best because they pack smaller and are easier to carry.

Let me see what is in Southern CA......There is the Colorado River area down by Yuma AZ that has a good bass population. The well know lake Havasu is to crazy with drinkers/partiers. I used to fish from a boat at a lake not too far from Yucca Valley (deep enough for trout to survive) I think it was Silverwood State Park and of course the Mountain range Big Bear Lake area.

Best way to tell is to go online and view CA and then look up the lakes and rivers in the area and see what fish are in them and when they are in season.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 16:22
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Clearwater II. Stay Fishing MF

From Lancaster, PA
not a lake fisherman. so rivers, creeks, brooks, runs ect.....hopefully we can fly fish for trout, but it's certainly isn't a deal breaker. we are coming from Burbank/Hollywood area, so we are traveling no matter where we go. We don't mind, we are used to it.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over losing flies or flotant. Heck we could go shopping for stuff in LA. But the rod and reel are coming with me and I like the idea of taking my 4 piece rod/reel combo, it's a 7footer so I'm not looking for 24 inch trout....although my bro will be.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 15:15

If you're looking for some wild trout streams, you have quite a few options. The closest to you, would be to the east of Burbank, in the mountains north of the 210. Further east, in the mountains above San Bernardino, you'll have a few more options.

North on the 5, and you will have a few streams in the Los Padres NF to fish. There are also a few bass lakes in this direction, some of which also hold trout and stripers.

Even further north you have the Kern river, from Burbank about 2 hours to the lower Kern and 2 1/2 to 3 hours to the upper Kern.

If you want a little more detail, send me a PM and I'll try to help you out.

Also keep in mind most of the streams are going to be running low for this time of year, due to this past dry winter.

Posted on: 2013/6/9 7:10

Edited by 1fish on 2013/6/9 8:02:18

From Philadelphia PA
normally when there is a lake there are an inlet river and an outlet. try either of them up at big bear area - i'm sure you'll catch some fish.

Posted on: 2013/6/9 7:43
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Clearwater II. Stay Fishing MF

From Lancaster, PA
well yes its the same anywhere, big lakes, inlets ect, but i skip the lake fishing and do that when i want to relax and tan :)

my brother keeps talking about the big bear area mountains and streams, a possibility indeed.

1fish i'll PM you shortly. thanks.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 11:24

From Stormstown, PA
Flew out to Colorado several years ago to fish above Basalt and only carried on. Flies, tools, chest pack, waders/boot and clothing for a week all in a carry on sized backpack and a 3pc 5wt rod strapped to it. No problems from State College through Philly to Denver (think I even had a layover in Chicago...)

Did the same a few years ago to Idaho to fish a trib of the Clearwater. Again, no problem.

I did however, make sure that anything that could be questioned was close to the top. My brother didn't and had to practically empty his whole pack in the Pullman airport...almost missed the plane.

Posted on: 2013/6/16 18:52

Good information,

I will be headed to Levelock AK in August to visit my daughter. She lives on the Kvichak river. She is a teacher in the village of 65. There are 18 total students from K-18. I will be taking my 4 piece 8 weight. Leave from State College, Detroit, Seattle, Anchorage and a bush plane to her village. My concern is lost or missing luggage. Her village is so remote, there is no way the luggage would make it during our visit. If anyone has made a recent trip to AK, post your experience. I want to be able to carry on my fishing supplies.
Thank you

Posted on: 2013/6/16 20:13

From chester ct
When I fly to a ffishing location, I wear my vest, mostly fully loaded. I do put the gel type floatants in a checked bag, though I guess the 1 qt. clear baggy for shampoo and such would work. No knives though, and I also check the mitten clamps.

Not only does this make me stream readier when I land, it saves weight in the luggage (my vest weighs close to 25 lbs sometimes).

Posted on: 2013/8/23 16:18

From Bala Cynwyd
I just returned from a week fishing the driftless region in Wisconsin and used a Fishpond Dakota carry-on rod and reel case (went in the overhead) and a backpack (under the seat).

The rod and reel case held three 4 piece rods, 1 tenkara rod, 3 reels, 5 fly boxes, a small chest pack, tools, floatant, split shot, etc - basically the entire contents of what would be in a vest + the rods and reels. Waders and boots went into the backpack with other travel necessities, while "regular" clothes were checked with the rest of the family's luggage.

The TSA agents didn't bat an eyelash and the flight attendant knew what the carry on was and even asked about where I was headed on the way out of Philly.

As lestrout noted it was really nice having everything well organized and at hand once I got to the streams. So much so that I've taken to leaving everything in the carry-on case all the time. It is now just grab and go.

Also, floatant/sinket/etc. containers are all under the TSA volume limit. I put them into a plastic bag and they went right through.

Sorry for the Fishpond advertisement. It really seems to be the perfect case - or I don't have enough gear!

Posted on: 2013/8/26 13:56

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
93 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com