Flies in trees

A

atticus

Ive had several occassions to use this "tactic" when Ive fished on a new stream and sometimes one's Ive fished quite often.I keep my eyes out for flies fisherman have broken off. If I have not had much success on my own flies ,Ill tie on the ones Ive found.Quite often it is a slightly different pattern or sometimes something I would have never thought of using.Several times this has saved the day.I then copy the pattern and add it to my arsenal.

Well, I've left lots of flies in trees from Maine to Tennessee and every place in between so perhaps you've used some of mine.

I would say they were mine too but of course mine never get stuck in tree branches I can actually reach! LOL

Trees, my biggest enemy while fly fishing. I get close and personal with a few trees each outing. I retrieve some, but I'm still losing the battle.

Anybody have a good recommendation for a mini chainsaw that I can fit in the back of my confluence pack? We'll see if those trees keep stealing my flies when they find out about the chainsaw.

Foxgap239 wrote:
I would say they were mine too but of course mine never get stuck in tree branches I can actually reach! LOL

Wise words...

It amazed me to see, 25 or 30 feet in the air, a Rapala, two or three lines and a Thingamabobber in a tree looming over a nice hole on the Lackawanna......

We call it "fishing for squirrels".

Hemlocks = the worst!!!

I just left you a couple at the Little Lehigh today. Good patterns too. :)

i left seven at the little lehigh on friday. 2 micro buggers, 4 midges (zebra) and a stonefly. did anyone notice the Golden trout in the little lehigh?

follow me on any stream by a 100 yds and you'll hear the pop-pop-pop-pop-pop- of tippets.....lol

I truely appreciate the flies you have all contributed to my box.some of them are well tied and others are pretty crappy.I could use some ICSI midges cause I hate to tie them.

atticus wrote:
I truely appreciate the flies you have all contributed to my box.some of them are well tied and others are pretty crappy.I could use some ICSI midges cause I hate to tie them.
:lol:

atticus wrote:

Nice to know my work and mistakes have benefited someone.

I'll work on those midges! :p

I picked up a gadget from Orvis many years ago to assist in retriving my flies from trees. Generally don't look for oflies left by others as I have more than I can use in 3 lifetimes. It consists of a rubber covered metal hook attached to a 3 inch long plastic tube and then attached to 10-15 feet of para cord. Simply hook the hook and tube together, place over the end of your rod and snag the offending branch. Place rod is safe place and simply pull branch to your level and retrieve fly.

It works great, but more often than not, I just retie and move on. Several friends have made their own version from things readily handly in most garages.

just_jon wrote:
I picked up a gadget from Orvis many years ago to assist in retriving my flies from trees. Generally don't look for oflies left by others as I have more than I can use in 3 lifetimes. It consists of a rubber covered metal hook attached to a 3 inch long plastic tube and then attached to 10-15 feet of para cord. Simply hook the hook and tube together, place over the end of your rod and snag the offending branch. Place rod is safe place and simply pull branch to your level and retrieve fly.

It works great, but more often than not, I just retie and move on. Several friends have made their own version from things readily handly in most garages.

I got one of those too and it was free. It's called a stick. :-D That does sound like a useful gadget though especially if your fly is 15 feet up in the air.

I have not learned how to specialize just in trees. Tall grass, bushes, land based rocks, telephone poles, and electric wires have claimed flies from me at one time or another.

fshnbob wrote:
I have not learned how to specialize just in trees. Tall grass, bushes, land based rocks, telephone poles, and electric wires have claimed flies from me at one time or another.

LOL, fshnbob. I think most of us know how you feel.

Well now, as Fox said, glad to know that what I've left in trees on many a PA stream have not gone to decoration. I find it amazing/amusing that I can (occasionally) put a fly between two leaves 3 inches apart and yet look behind me, see a clear opening 10 feet wide, and still catch a branch. Happily, it's usually amusing.
Coughlin

Back