Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Flies in trees

From Newville, PA
I picked up a gadget from Orvis many years ago to assist in retriving my flies from trees. Generally don't look for oflies left by others as I have more than I can use in 3 lifetimes. It consists of a rubber covered metal hook attached to a 3 inch long plastic tube and then attached to 10-15 feet of para cord. Simply hook the hook and tube together, place over the end of your rod and snag the offending branch. Place rod is safe place and simply pull branch to your level and retrieve fly.

It works great, but more often than not, I just retie and move on. Several friends have made their own version from things readily handly in most garages.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 12:28

From Berks County
Quote:

just_jon wrote:
I picked up a gadget from Orvis many years ago to assist in retriving my flies from trees. Generally don't look for oflies left by others as I have more than I can use in 3 lifetimes. It consists of a rubber covered metal hook attached to a 3 inch long plastic tube and then attached to 10-15 feet of para cord. Simply hook the hook and tube together, place over the end of your rod and snag the offending branch. Place rod is safe place and simply pull branch to your level and retrieve fly.

It works great, but more often than not, I just retie and move on. Several friends have made their own version from things readily handly in most garages.

I got one of those too and it was free. It's called a stick. That does sound like a useful gadget though especially if your fly is 15 feet up in the air.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 14:43

I have not learned how to specialize just in trees. Tall grass, bushes, land based rocks, telephone poles, and electric wires have claimed flies from me at one time or another.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 20:25

From Berks County
Quote:

fshnbob wrote:
I have not learned how to specialize just in trees. Tall grass, bushes, land based rocks, telephone poles, and electric wires have claimed flies from me at one time or another.

LOL, fshnbob. I think most of us know how you feel.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 21:51

From Philadelphia
Well now, as Fox said, glad to know that what I've left in trees on many a PA stream have not gone to decoration. I find it amazing/amusing that I can (occasionally) put a fly between two leaves 3 inches apart and yet look behind me, see a clear opening 10 feet wide, and still catch a branch. Happily, it's usually amusing.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2012/2/25 22:06

From Harrisburg
Now-a-day's I have to wonder how I managed to get my old spin tackle stuck in trees pretty constantly. How is that even possible?

Posted on: 2012/2/26 12:24

To retrieve your flies, carry a length of 550 cord with some type of heavy hook on the end, snag the branch and pull it down within reaching distance. I learned that trick when I used to gear fish and I hated to lose my lures. Waders were also the best peice of equipment I bought back then so, I could wade out and retrieve the lure from a sunken log and sometimes I would find others also. I always look in trees

Posted on: 2012/2/26 17:51

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

NewTyer1 wrote:
To retrieve your flies, carry a length of 550 cord with some type of heavy hook on the end, snag the branch and pull it down within reaching distance. I learned that trick when I used to gear fish and I hated to lose my lures. Waders were also the best peice of equipment I bought back then so, I could wade out and retrieve the lure from a sunken log and sometimes I would find others also. I always look in trees

Ha ha ha, I was just about to add that...well not the "take 550 chord along", when you have 100 ft of 550 chord on your fly reel.
I just pull out about 20 ft of line. Reach the rod tip up the the branch and put the line over the branch and bring the rod back down while letting the line slide through. Get both ends of the line in your hand and use it to pull the branch down. Today I got my fly and another bwo out of a tree.

I would remind not to use the rod tip top shake the fly loose or pull on it while the rod is in the equation. The rod is between my legs with no tension on the tip.

Posted on: 2012/2/26 20:21

From Cato, NY
Quote:

Maurice wrote:
Quote:

NewTyer1 wrote:

Ha ha ha, I was just about to add that...well not the "take 550 chord along", when you have 100 ft of 550 chord on your fly reel.
I just pull out about 20 ft of line. Reach the rod tip up the the branch and put the line over the branch and bring the rod back down while letting the line slide through. Get both ends of the line in your hand and use it to pull the branch down. Today I got my fly and another bwo out of a tree.

I would remind not to use the rod tip top shake the fly loose or pull on it while the rod is in the equation. The rod is between my legs with no tension on the tip.

That's a good idea if I must say so.

Posted on: 2012/2/28 7:52

From Bethlehem, PA
And what if your fly happens to be further up the tree than the rod will reach? Or, being a straight-leg kind of guy, not happening to have 100 feet of 550 cord? I'd carry a chain saw with me if I could. Cut down all those damn trees along the streams that keep eating my flies.

Hrrmph!

Posted on: 2012/2/28 10:05

The fisherman: He ariseth early in the morning and awaketh the entire household. He arriveth home late at night, smelling of strong drink and the truth is not in him.

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
mcneishm,

If the branch is "bendy" you can often pull it down to where you can reach it, then untangle. Just be careful with the rod. You have to hold the line, take the tension off the rod tip. Often, I lay the rod down, but be mindful of where, because it becomes easy to step on as your jumping and stumbling. :)

If it's dead and stiff I have on many occasions found a stick and used it to break the branch with the fly on. Sometimes you find that the stick in your hand breaks before the one with the fly. In those cases, find a bigger stick. :)

If it's a "tree", I've been known to climb.

Very rarely do I resort to breaking the line and moving on with my life. I don't give up easily.

Posted on: 2012/3/2 8:02

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
My philosophy is "if it takes less time to retrieve a fly than it does to tie a new one at the vise, then go get it!"

My first "brookie expedition" with pcray, I got hooked on some barbed wire on several occasions...

Posted on: 2012/3/2 10:35

From Maytown, PA
I once pulled on my line to free a flie and something slapped me on the shoulder. Looked to my right and there was the fly buried in my vest just inches from my face.
I retrieved a nice olive bugger from a branch the other day and spied a nice muddler but could not reach that one.

Posted on: 2012/3/4 16:40

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
Looked to my right and there was the fly buried in my vest just inches from my face.

See, some people use barbless for the fish. Not me, I really don't have much issue with barbs and fish. The barbless is to protect ME, and so that I don't ruin the fly when trying to get it out of my clothing. :)

Posted on: 2012/3/5 8:39

From Philadelphia
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
See, some people use barbless for the fish. Not me, I really don't have much issue with barbs and fish.

I know I don't know you real well but after reading your posts on the board this surprises me. I'm not being judgmental in any way I assure you, this just seems different to your other views on things. Nothing wrong with your view on this like I said it just surprises me.

Posted on: 2012/3/5 8:44

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com