Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

fishing for bass

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I just started fly fishing a few months ago and the last few times out I experimented with some grasshoppers for smallmouth bass and had a blast! Just wondering if anyone else fishes for bass also and what flies or techniques they use. thanks!!!

Posted on: 2006/10/18 20:14

Re: fishing for bass

From Yardley, PA
Any kind of streamer will do. A wooley bugger type fly with curly tails is great. Make sure you are fishing the bottom using a sinking tip, and strip it back up stream.

Dale

Posted on: 2006/10/21 10:36

From Altoona, PA
Get a copy of Harry Murray's book on fly fishing for smallmouth. It's awesome and there are a ton of great patterns in there.

Posted on: 2006/11/4 8:37

From Greensburg, PA
Google "Schenk's White Streamer" Its a dubbed rabbit fur body with marabou tail streamer that just kills smallmouth.

Posted on: 2006/11/4 10:38

From Delaware Co.
Quote:
Get a copy of Harry Murray's book on fly fishing for smallmouth. It's awesome and there are a ton of great patterns in there.

There also a dvd ....

Posted on: 2006/11/4 17:12

From Chester County
It doesn’t have to be complicated. Get some bass poppers and sliders for surface fishing in the warmer weather, and some woolly buggers and clousers for underneath.

A book or DVD on smallmouth fishing is a great place to start. As far as authorities on fly fishing for smallmouths, I recently saw a ranking of experts. Number one was Bob Clouser, followed by Harry Murray, third was Tim Murphy, right there with them.

Posted on: 2006/11/6 11:11

From Altoona, PA
Quote:
I recently saw a ranking of experts. Number one was Bob Clouser, followed by Harry Murray, third was Tim Murphy, right there with them.

Of the three, I believe only Harry has actually published a book. Bob has some nice videos though.

Posted on: 2006/11/6 12:09

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

Padraic wrote:
.... Of the three, I believe only Harry has actually published a book. Bob has some nice videos though.

And Tim Murphy has delivered a series of lectures at Oxford and Cambridge, but who's counting.

Posted on: 2006/11/6 14:27

Rabbit strip flies are amazing for bass, the way they move in the water looks so real. I generally use tungsten heads on my bass flies so they will sink fast and bass don't care about a fly that splashes when it hits the water. Sink-tip lines are great. Clousers, small deceivers, buggers, zonkers, classic streamers all work well for bass.

Posted on: 2006/11/21 18:33

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com