fishing for bass

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I just started fly fishing a few months ago and the last few times out I experimented with some grasshoppers for smallmouth bass and had a blast! Just wondering if anyone else fishes for bass also and what flies or techniques they use. thanks!!!

Any kind of streamer will do. A wooley bugger type fly with curly tails is great. Make sure you are fishing the bottom using a sinking tip, and strip it back up stream.

Dale

Get a copy of Harry Murray's book on fly fishing for smallmouth. It's awesome and there are a ton of great patterns in there.

Google "Schenk's White Streamer" Its a dubbed rabbit fur body with marabou tail streamer that just kills smallmouth.

Get a copy of Harry Murray's book on fly fishing for smallmouth. It's awesome and there are a ton of great patterns in there.
There also a dvd ....

It doesn’t have to be complicated. Get some bass poppers and sliders for surface fishing in the warmer weather, and some woolly buggers and clousers for underneath.

A book or DVD on smallmouth fishing is a great place to start. As far as authorities on fly fishing for smallmouths, I recently saw a ranking of experts. Number one was Bob Clouser, followed by Harry Murray, third was Tim Murphy, right there with them.

I recently saw a ranking of experts. Number one was Bob Clouser, followed by Harry Murray, third was Tim Murphy, right there with them.

Of the three, I believe only Harry has actually published a book. Bob has some nice videos though.

Padraic wrote:
.... Of the three, I believe only Harry has actually published a book. Bob has some nice videos though.

And Tim Murphy has delivered a series of lectures at Oxford and Cambridge, but who's counting.

Rabbit strip flies are amazing for bass, the way they move in the water looks so real. I generally use tungsten heads on my bass flies so they will sink fast and bass don't care about a fly that splashes when it hits the water. Sink-tip lines are great. Clousers, small deceivers, buggers, zonkers, classic streamers all work well for bass.

Back