Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Fishing Etiquette for Erie.

From Greensburg, PA
It is what it is...considering that many on this board enjoy and brag about going out and catching a few 3 to 6 inch fish on a regular basis (myself included), how could steelhead fishing not be fun. Fortunately, the seclusion that comes with brookie fishing does not always come with Erie. For people who harvest fish, this is a wet dream (pun intended). So of course you will encounter more and different types of fishermen there. But if you can't find a way to enjoy it in spite of success, others manners or weather...you aren't trying.

Posted on: 2008/10/28 15:27

For me-

I am probably a few years behind all the trends so to speak.

Steelheading still kinda new and exciting for me . Been the evolution thing with me.

Learn to fly fish, catch some fish ,learn, fish for wild fish, catch some bigger fish,steelhead etc... Next maybe some saltwater!

The NY tribs seem to have many more wild fish and have more browns. Someday that would be a draw for me. Never fished there but have heard some things.

Some additional music that gets me fired up to fish!!!!

MF Doom-Vinca Rosea & The Band- The Weight

Paul

Posted on: 2008/10/28 15:41

From Bozeman

Posted on: 2008/10/28 16:15

From Schwenksville
I've never been anywhere for steelhead so I don't know what it's like but I have a question for those that have been. Have you ever seen an actual fight on the stream?

Some a-hole this past weekend was close to getting himself drowned when he ran to the stream to jump in less than a cast below my friend and I. We were fishing at the Benner Springs Hatchery alone. Not one other car until this dude shows up. We were working streamers downstream and out of nowhere come this guy across the stream, stops and proceeds to almost fish the same hole we were. Having read what everyone says about Erie, I would expect something like this to happen there but not on Spring Creek when the entire stream was empty.

It really is amazing the lack of stream etiquette some people have.

Posted on: 2008/10/28 16:40

From Suburban Pittsburgh
Some people just don't get it, that's brutal! I've had similar experiences in the ANF. Plenty of open water for hundreds of yards up and down stream, in some cases MILES of open waters.

Some people on the other hand seem to know it all.

Posted on: 2008/10/28 17:41

Never seen a fight.

Squaretail- once posted that a guide yelled something like""I have the bail money" to someguy that was fishing nearby where he wanted his clients to fish. Sure it was'nt too funny then- but I laugh at that one. Think that was the Salmon River in NY.

Had a guy walk right in the top of a run I fishing at Benner for tricos- I would like to think he did'nt see me since I was in the shade and the sun was in his face. Still did'nt move off though.

The world is a funny place.

Posted on: 2008/10/29 8:38

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I used to live not far north of Pittsburgh. I've made the 2-3 hour drive to Erie many times. A couple times I never wet a line. Several others, I probably only threw a few casts all day, maybe at a lonely fish in some tailout. Park, walk and look for a hole where nobody is at. Don't find it, keep walking till you hit posted signs. Turn around and go back to car, drive to new access point. Repeat. All day, never even unstringing the rod. I won't fish a hole if there's another fisherman anywhere on the hole, to me thats moving in. If the fish are in the fast water, usually I can find a little pocket in the middle of a long riffle or something. But if they're not in the fast water, it seems like every hole has a guy.

And I am willing to walk, the problem is that every place I try to walk very far, you hit posted ground. Where are you guys going that you can walk so far without crossing posted ground?

I live in SE PA now, so I don't get up much. I will be up there during the first week of buck season. Hunting Monday and Tuesday, but plan on being on the tribs Wed, Thurs, Friday, and Saturday. Hoping the weekday mixed with deer season keeps the crowds down a bit. Anyone interested in joining?

Posted on: 2008/11/13 13:05

From Bozeman
I might be interested in joining that weekend.

Posted on: 2008/11/13 13:34

From Monessen, PA
pc, to fish the Erie Tribs, you have to get used to "moving in" to some extent. It always involves a judgment call, but the rules are not the same as they would be on a stream less densely populated with anglers. I enjoy my solitude and look for a relative bit more at Erie, but have become resigned to the fact that I will not get it often and no one else expects or, nor should they.

Posted on: 2008/11/13 14:02

From Greensburg, PA
The other thing to remember is that access or easements (not sure which term is correct) are being purchased all the time. Not sure how long ago you were last there but there may be more access than you are used to. I fish like you most of the time. I don;t like to fish the same hole for too long especially with strange company. (most of the time not even with friends) You live far enough now that maybe its not worth the drive but if you find yourself withing an easy drive at the right time, I'd get a hold of one of us out this was and give it a go. I've only been twice. I cringe at first site of other anglers and I find it very easy to enjoy myself.

Posted on: 2008/11/13 14:18

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I have had enjoyable experiences. Weekdays, when the water was right and the fish were spread out, if I found unmelested fish everyone else bypassed I've had some good days. Several of my favorite access points did get me away from people, but many either got posted or the access to them did, and the rest of the places got more crowded. Studied maps, and crossed out all posted sections I knew of, there just wasn't much left away from access points. I've fished all the west side streams, but never ventured over to the east side because it seemed it was hard to get very far away from the lake.

Used to go 3 times a year or so, maybe twice in the fall and once in the spring. With the new location, didn't go last year or at all yet this year.

JayL, If you're interested, send a PM or e-mail. I have a camp about an hour out that I planned on utilizing for lodging. We'll be there for deer season. Most guys leaving on Tuesday evening, I'm staying till Sunday. You'd be welcome, but you'd have to join me there or streamside unless you wanted to hang out all week. Sunday won't be a fishing day most likely, just a driving day.

Posted on: 2008/11/13 15:26

From Room 109
Fugazi - nice . One of the greatest bands of all time.

Posted on: 2008/12/11 17:08

From lancaster county
Fugazi thats awesome

Posted on: 2008/12/13 11:05

From SE PA - Montgomery County
I have never fished the Erie tribs, but I have fished many times in Upstate NY. It is the same way there as well. It is worse during the Salmon run and not usually as bad when the steelies arrive.

The only place that I have found were you can avoid all of the clowns is in the Fly Fishing Only sections or to hike well away from the parking areas. I am not sure if Erie has any special regs sections like that, but if not they should. It is true that fly fisherman are much more courteous and respectful of other anglers.

Maybe PA should require some sort of a training class in order to purchase a fishing license. I know for a hunting license it is required although a saftey class is much more important for hunters. Maybe some sort of basic knowledge about rules and regs, conservation and stream etiquette would suffice.

Posted on: 2008/12/18 12:47

Fished Erie this week with Acristickid. We went to Walnut which was really nice. There were probably eight guys in the Stop Sign Hole....I agree with others about things being different up there. We fished a smaller hole downstream from that. I don't bash others for fishing hip to hip it's just not for me. Although I don't mind it with my friends.

Posted on: 2008/12/19 11:57

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com