Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Fishing Drake Nymphs?

From York, PA
I'll be in Poe Paddy weekend of June 1...but, I was wondering how early folks start fishing the nymphs? I was thinking of making a trip up next weekend, but wasn't sure if it was too early to fish those big hairies.

Posted on: 5/12 19:31

Re: Fishing Drake Nymphs?

From Lewistown
I don't bother until the drakes show up.
Then, pound them through the riffles.

Posted on: 5/12 22:02

From Clearville Pa
i normally start fishing them about this time of the year...i seem to do really well a few weeks before they start to pop off with them

Posted on: 5/13 9:22

From SEPA
Look at the stream reports on pennscreekangler.com. Bruce says to start fishing the GD nymphs now.

http://pennscreekangler.com/2010%20stream%20report.htm

Posted on: 5/13 9:50

From South Central PA
Short Video of Green Drake nymphing on Penns. Has a closeup of his tie included.

Posted on: 5/13 10:29

From Coopersburg
Awesome vid.

Posted on: 5/13 12:01

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
I find a golden stonefly nymph to be a pretty good proxy for a green drake nymph. If the stream has a population of golden stones, then you're in the double bonus...

Posted on: 5/13 12:07

From Pgh
Good video. It breaks my heart a bit to see Joe needing help to wade. In my eyes he will always be that 50-something energetic, "go get em" instructor with a lust for life. Getting old sucks.

Posted on: 5/13 12:26

From Gettysburg
Quote:

greenghost wrote:
Good video. It breaks my heart a bit to see Joe needing help to wade. In my eyes he will always be that 50-something energetic, "go get em" instructor with a lust for life. Getting old sucks.

Agree.

On the bright side, it's great to see Joe still out on the water and still teaching FFing in his 80s. And he's till got that hunched over intensity that he's always had. Although he doesn't remember me, he taught me to nymph fish thirty years ago and I still use the tuck cast and other tips that he preached.
Go Joe!

Posted on: 5/13 22:42

From Pgh
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Quote:

greenghost wrote:

Agree.

On the bright side, it's great to see Joe still out on the water and still teaching FFing in his 80s. And he's till got that hunched over intensity that he's always had. Although he doesn't remember me, he taught me to nymph fish thirty years ago and I still use the tuck cast and other tips that he preached.
Go Joe!

Me too Dave! 1980 PSU... Indeed, it is still good to see him in his element for sure.

Posted on: 5/14 9:33

From Monessen, PA
It looks like Joe would have been fine wading in lower water. I have walked arm-in-arm with a fishing pal in high water before.

The nymphs are usually active a couple weeks before the emergence, so It may be about time to try them.

Posted on: 5/14 10:04

From SE PA - Montgomery County
I just hope I am still on the water when I am in my 80's. That is impressive enough.

Posted on: 5/14 12:14

From Johnstown, PA
Quote:
It looks like Joe would have been fine wading in lower water. I have walked arm-in-arm with a fishing pal in high water before.

I thought the same thing when I watched the video, the water was just too high and difficult so he reached out for a hand. And btw I would hold on to a wading buddy all day long to avoid ending up in the water!!! Lol

Posted on: 5/14 20:22

I wound up in the drink at Penn's twice on Thursday, and once on Wednesday. As in fully losing it, hands splayed out sideways, on my back.

I blame it on the worn-smooth felt soles of my Chotas. I'm roughening them up with low grit sandpaper for my next outing there.

The flow was a little bit strong. But mostly it was the slickness of the rocks. It's tough to try and regain footing once you slip. Especially scary when you end up crossing your feet, a definite no-no.

Posted on: 6/14 14:24

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com