Fishing Drake Nymphs?

sipe

sipe

I'll be in Poe Paddy weekend of June 1...but, I was wondering how early folks start fishing the nymphs? I was thinking of making a trip up next weekend, but wasn't sure if it was too early to fish those big hairies.

I don't bother until the drakes show up.
Then, pound them through the riffles.

i normally start fishing them about this time of the year...i seem to do really well a few weeks before they start to pop off with them

Look at the stream reports on pennscreekangler.com. Bruce says to start fishing the GD nymphs now.

http://pennscreekangler.com/2010%20stream%20report.htm

Short Video of Green Drake nymphing on Penns. Has a closeup of his tie included.

Awesome vid.

I find a golden stonefly nymph to be a pretty good proxy for a green drake nymph. If the stream has a population of golden stones, then you're in the double bonus...

Good video. It breaks my heart a bit to see Joe needing help to wade. In my eyes he will always be that 50-something energetic, "go get em" instructor with a lust for life. Getting old sucks.

greenghost wrote:
Good video. It breaks my heart a bit to see Joe needing help to wade. In my eyes he will always be that 50-something energetic, "go get em" instructor with a lust for life. Getting old sucks.

Agree.

On the bright side, it's great to see Joe still out on the water and still teaching FFing in his 80s. And he's till got that hunched over intensity that he's always had. Although he doesn't remember me, he taught me to nymph fish thirty years ago and I still use the tuck cast and other tips that he preached.
Go Joe!

Fishidiot wrote:
greenghost wrote:

Agree.

On the bright side, it's great to see Joe still out on the water and still teaching FFing in his 80s. And he's till got that hunched over intensity that he's always had. Although he doesn't remember me, he taught me to nymph fish thirty years ago and I still use the tuck cast and other tips that he preached.
Go Joe!

Me too Dave! 1980 PSU... Indeed, it is still good to see him in his element for sure.

It looks like Joe would have been fine wading in lower water. I have walked arm-in-arm with a fishing pal in high water before.

The nymphs are usually active a couple weeks before the emergence, so It may be about time to try them.

I just hope I am still on the water when I am in my 80's. That is impressive enough.

It looks like Joe would have been fine wading in lower water. I have walked arm-in-arm with a fishing pal in high water before.

I thought the same thing when I watched the video, the water was just too high and difficult so he reached out for a hand. And btw I would hold on to a wading buddy all day long to avoid ending up in the water!!! Lol

I wound up in the drink at Penn's twice on Thursday, and once on Wednesday. As in fully losing it, hands splayed out sideways, on my back.

I blame it on the worn-smooth felt soles of my Chotas. I'm roughening them up with low grit sandpaper for my next outing there.

The flow was a little bit strong. But mostly it was the slickness of the rocks. It's tough to try and regain footing once you slip. Especially scary when you end up crossing your feet, a definite no-no.

Back