Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Euro- Czech nymphing my new favorite

From Cleona, Pa
This method is deadly!

I've been using it for 3+ years and once you figure it out lookout. I use the straight sighter and curly sighter. And it is ultimately dependent on water types. I almost always catch fish. It's really shines on places like spring creek, BFC, and Penns. The thing with this method is you are in contant with you flies and it's easier to detect strikes, where as indi fishing there is a delay in the noticed dip in the indi. I still use indi style when the tight line is less than optimal, for example a long deep slow pool. And times where the fish want a different presentation. I've tried this on fish and drifted it by them with no interest, swithced to a dry droppper and first cast, fish.

I'll use this method for a long time to come. I use a 2&4 wt 10' ESN

Posted on: 2013/1/22 14:42

From Ohio
Mike,

Take a look at George Daniel's nymping leader or try a Harvey slack leader and use colored mono (gold stren or hi vis yellow) for the 0x. You can taper down to 5x on the Harvey leader and use fluorocarbon tippet for the parts of the leader that are below the sighter (colored mono). I've used both of these leaders and liked them. The Harvey leader seems to work better with a 9' rod and George's leader better with a 10' rod. George's book has a handful of other leader formulas if you want to try something different.

George Daniel Leader

Modified Harvey Slack leader Formula for Nymphing
Diameter # Test X Rating Type of Mono Length
.017 20 LB. - 10"
.015 15 LB. - 18"
.013 12 LB. - 18"
.010 8 LB. 1x - 18"
.009 6 LB. 2x - 12"
.008 5 LB. 3x - 18"
.007 4 LB. 4x - 18-24"

Posted on: 2013/1/22 14:51

From Berks County
I started trying high-sticking last year when it was introduced to me by Rachel Finn (great guide on the WB AuSable). I did well with it there, but I find that most places I fish, I can't get close enough to the fish for this (at least it feels that way), so I resort to indy rigs.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 21:48

From York, PA
Quote:

zenherper wrote:
but I find that most places I fish, I can't get close enough to the fish for this (at least it feels that way), so I resort to indy rigs.

You should try one of those long Japanese rods without a reel?

I love tight-lining (Chez?) and I have great success with a 8'4" rod.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 0:35

From Cleona, Pa
On my 2wt I use a leader/tippet thats close to 30' long. I use no fly line and it's great for low water spooky fish in summer. Spring creek at the paradise in perticular. I use a single fly on that rig.

You don't have to use a short line method with this.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 11:07

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

jkilroy wrote:
On my 2wt I use a leader/tippet thats close to 30' long. I use no fly line and it's great for low water spooky fish in summer. Spring creek at the paradise in perticular. I use a single fly on that rig.

You don't have to use a short line method with this.
That rig is illegal at the Paradise on Spring Creek, it's FFO water. You are limited to a 18 feet of leader material or monofilament.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 11:40

From Gettysburg
WildTigerTrout is correct.

I use a specialty leader for some applications but keep it limited to about 17' since I often fish in FFO waters in the Cumberland Valley. It's worth an occasional reminder that FFO waters have a leader length limit.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 12:10

From Cleona, Pa
Oops. That's the bad thing for that leader.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 16:48

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Lol good response

Posted on: 2013/1/23 16:51

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Portage, PA
Tied up a few leaders last night. Went with a simple recipe for now.

7ft of trilene xt in 20 pound (green)
18" suffix high viz (yellow)
4-5' of suffix 6 pound flouro
end with tippet ring.

Going to try this out first. The whole set up cost me 25.00 for the supplies. I will be buying the Jan Siman bicolor soon but just wanted to play around with the cheaper stuff first. Will let you know how I make out. WIll be fishing the first fork of the Sinnemahoning next weekend, not to sure i will get out this weekend.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 8:23

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

mike_richardson wrote:

end with tippet ring.

Going to try this out first. The whole set up cost me 25.00 for the supplies. I will be buying the Jan Siman bicolor soon but just wanted to play around with the cheaper stuff first. Will let you know how I make out. WIll be fishing the first fork of the Sinnemahoning next weekend, not to sure i will get out this weekend.
IMO your leader is too long for a nymphing rig. By my calculations your leader is 12.5 to 13.5 feet without the tippet. IMO you should shorten it up to about the length of your flyrod and then add about 2 to 2.5' of tippet. I think you will lose contact with your fly with a leader that long. Just my opinion.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 10:49

From Parkesburg
I would be curious to see how you make out using the 7ft. of Trilene for the butt section. I fidget from time to time with different fly lines some are way too stiff.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 10:57

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Quote:

mike_richardson wrote:

end with tippet ring.

IMO your leader is too long for a nymphing rig. By my calculations your leader is 12.5 to 13.5 feet without the tippet. IMO you should shorten it up to about the length of your flyrod and then add about 2 to 2.5' of tippet. I think you will lose contact with your fly with a leader that long. Just my opinion.

Depends on the style of high sticking he is doing. However, I don't think it is long enough.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 11:10

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Portage, PA
Yeah thanks becker and Tiger trout for the thoughts on the lenght. I am used to using a 9' total lenght leader. I was going to play around with the butt section while on the stream to find a decent length to match the size of stream I am fishing. I made it a tad longer than what i thought i should use and modify it for the stream. Contemplating setting up different leaders for different streams and marking them with masking tape.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 11:14

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Quote:

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Quote:

mike_richardson wrote:

end with tippet ring.

Depends on the style of high sticking he is doing. However, I don't think it is long enough.
This advice coming from a guy who can't catch a trout on a Green Weenie! Oh that hurt.......... Got you.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 11:16

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
120 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com