Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Early Season BWO's

From Philadelphia
With the good BWO season quickly approaching, I was wondering the different tactics people use. I have done very well in years past fishing a size 18 or 20 BWO Comparadun only. The more I read the more I see people using dry and dropper rigs. Those who use that tactic, what fly do you typically use as your dropper and how far down to you place the dropper?

Posted on: 2012/2/7 9:27

Re: Early Season BWO's

From Lewistown
I like the dry dropper for early BWO's.

I use a parachute dry and a beatis nymph pattern (green/brown dubbing and olive partridge tailes and legs). To symbolish emergence I tie with dark wingcases.

If I'm on a stream where the fish will hit whatever, I just sub the more specific nymph for a PT.

as far as depth and distance between, it really depends on the water conditions. however, If using one of those ready to emerge nymphs (with the darker wingcases) maybe a foot between.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 11:21

From Chester County
Quote:

MKern wrote:
I like the dry dropper for early BWO's.

I use a parachute dry and a beatis nymph pattern (green/brown dubbing and olive partridge tailes and legs). To symbolish emergence I tie with dark wingcases.

If I'm on a stream where the fish will hit whatever, I just sub the more specific nymph for a PT.

as far as depth and distance between, it really depends on the water conditions. however, If using one of those ready to emerge nymphs (with the darker wingcases) maybe a foot between.

+1...pretty much

Parachute dry in the size and color to match the hatch and a nymph tied using an olive PT for the tail and body with partridge legs and a black or dark wing case - sometimes using pearl flashabou to make a flashback.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 12:41

From Downingtown, PA
Maybe a dumb question but do you use a bead head nymph or will that sink the dry too easily?

Posted on: 2012/2/7 13:11

From West Chester/Morgantown 304
Foxgap your gonna find yourself fishing a dropper alot more! unbeaded and less weight the better for a dry dropper. Especially if its a small dry, you can always put a midge down there ;)

Posted on: 2012/2/7 19:18

From Philadelphia
Yeah that was sweet. I do need to put a bit of weight on the dropper because I don't think mine was breaking the surface today.

I will be using a dropper when the BWO's come off soon. How much tippet off the hook, about a foot?

Posted on: 2012/2/7 19:31

From West Chester/Morgantown 304
Depends on how deep you wanna fish it, if I fish a tandem nymph ill go anywhere from 10"-24". But a dry dropper the tippet off the shank will depend on the depth you want to fish the dropper. But I was thinking today, I dont think it was half bad that the midge wasn't dropping. You where fishing on top with the bwo and the dropper floating in the film would act as a pupa or an emerger without a wing casing imo and many times its hard to notice a fish eating from the film in moving water. Which an indicator ie bwo in your case was still acting as an indicator. And the fish probably rose to check out the bwo but as it turned noticed the harmless midge pupa in the film and instinctively took it.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 19:49

From Philadelphia
I hadn't considered that but you may very well be right.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 19:57

From Chester County
No one way to fish a dry dropper. Observe where fish are holding and feeding - in the film, below the surface, etc. A DD rig is the ticket to fishing the upper half of the column if the fish are holding and feeding there.

Unless the water is fairly shallow, a dry dropper is not a very good rig for nymphing the bottom. Two reasons - heavier flies make it difficult to float the dry, and adjusting the length of the dropper to stay on the bottom is difficult. In that case an indy or a sighter is best.

Posted on: 2012/2/8 7:58

From Cato, NY
Fox,

Try a comparadun and a rabbits foot emerger as a trailer fly with frogs fanny on the wings of the comparadun and emerger. The distance between the two should be anywhere from 12 to 20 inches.

Posted on: 2012/2/8 9:09

From Philadelphia
Curiousity/opinion question.

I have seen BWO almost everyday I fished during the winter but in spotty numbers. Will the warm winter and sporadic winter hatches have a dramtic impact on the intensity of the March hatch?

Posted on: 2012/2/8 9:51

From Bethlehem, PA
There were quite a few BWOs on the Saucon yesterday afternoon from maybe 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM or so, when the sun was on the water and the air temp was around 50 degrees. Water was 46-47 degrees. I did not see a rise to any of them tho did see a a half dozen rises to midges. For me, it was a beautiful day, the fishing was great but the catching was not so hot.

Posted on: 2012/2/8 9:55

The fisherman: He ariseth early in the morning and awaketh the entire household. He arriveth home late at night, smelling of strong drink and the truth is not in him.

From Lewistown
For dry dropper, I like no more thana foot between flies.

2 years ago I caught 3 fish in a row with both the dry and dropper hooked in their mouths. It happened 7 times total for me in a month's span too.

I attribute that to the proximity of the two flies. Exciting the fish to strike and..."what the heck, while I'm here i'll eat both bugs" thing.

Posted on: 2012/2/8 11:37

From Philadelphia
Point well made and thanks. Mushumatt and me were out yesterday and two things you said happened. First the fish came up to look at my BWO and decided to take the midge pupa instead because they were so close. I think I had about 8" out. Next fish I landed had both hooks in him. Excellent advice.

Posted on: 2012/2/8 11:40

From Clearfield
Quote:

mcneishm wrote:
I did not see a rise to any of them tho did see a a half dozen rises to midges. For me, it was a beautiful day, the fishing was great but the catching was not so hot.

Deadly

Attach file:

jpg  GN.jpg (4.25 KB)
4886_4f32a6de0ee89.jpg 240X200 px

Posted on: 2012/2/8 11:46

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com