Dealing with ticks.

gfen

gfen

Gimme your tricks and tips, people.

I've been lucy, I've been tick free all year...but it can't last. They'll find me, they always do. Well, the dog ticks do at least. So far, I've never had a deer tick, but I imagine its a matter of time...

So, complete coverage of skin, always wear a hat, and...?

Whatcha got?

tight cuffs at ankles and wrists...deet, lots of garlic...and stay in the water as much as possible. Pretty much same as other bugs.

I'm gonna have to buy one of those fancy fishin' shirts coz I'm not aware of any long sleeve shirt I'm gonna want to wear during the summer.

Permanone, permanone, permanone. You can find it with the other bug sprays at wally world. Just spray your cheap long sleeve tee, waders and anything else you may wear that touches brush and let dry. Lasts weeks even through a wash or 2. I'm sure it causes cancer every pesticide that works well does but you bite your split shot so you won't mind.

I highly recommend the fishing shirts. I got one for my MT trip, and fished in 100 degree weather with it. I don't do vests or chest packs, so it's wading jacket or fishing shirt for me. Between that and the pockets in my waders, I consider it to be as close as possible to the perfect system.

They have zippered armpit vents!!! What a world we live in.

jayL wrote:
They have zippered armpit vents!!! What a world we live in.

Doesn't take much for you, eh?

I immerse myself in the bleeding edge of technology, both as a hobby and for a living.

I try to take a step back and appreciate the sliced breads of the world now and then. Zippered armpit vents get it done for me.

In hindsight, perhaps I was hasty. Applying zippers to otherwise unzippered items does make for wonderful new options, like zippered wading boots, an item I can't wait to have to buy.

I wish they could just zipper waders, that would be rad.

Permanone works very well. Started using it this year, sprayed all my turkey hunting gear and have only had 1 tick on me in 3 days of hunting in Nebraska and 5 days in PA. Essentially turns anything into BuzzOff.

As mentioned above, I won't get lymes but may end up with cancer. Only time will tell!

Gary,

They do. They are prohibitively expensive.

Love my zippered waders. Will not purchse another pair without a zipper.

I went off to look, coz I was excited, but two things come to mind:
One, $700 isn't "prohibitively expensive" its stupid expensive, for me anyways.
Two, alas, the zippered waders of my dreams go all the way down, not just so I can water the flowers. That's why I shall continue to hope and dream that zippered waders can be a reality, and not by Simms but someone I can afford. :)

Based on the glowing endorsements of Permanone, I'll have to buy some. I like the idea of just treating my stuff once in awhile and not having to slather Deet over my entire body, which is something I'm too lazy and stupid to remember to do anyways.

What's Permanone's reaction with things like plastics and the like? Waders, fly lines, and tippet, basically. Corrosive on metal? Any reason I'm not just searching on the interwebs myself? Oh, that's right. Lazy.

I spray all my cloths, turkey decoys (1 plastic, 1 styrofoam) etc in Permanone along with my neoprene waders annually. I can't remember how many years I have been using it now I'll say at least 3 and I have not noticed any sort of breakdown of the materials being sprayed. Never sprayed the gun though.

I'd venture to guess the stuff once dried on waders stays put quite a while despite wading. Well worth the $5.72 a can. Hell I buy 2 cans every spring and double coat everything (including inside shirt/pants cuffs, collars) and recoat through summer when I think of it.

Also it leaves no reside that could be transferred from waders to fly rod, line etc. I would think as long as you keep the spray itself away you should be fine.

gfen - another Permanone fan here. It isn't nearly as nasty as Deet, and it won't give you dain bramage. :-o

Just spray around your ankles. Any ticks that manage to get above that will die from exhaustion/lack of oxygen trying to climb up to your noggin.

Is Permanone a brand name for another permethrin based product? Whatever the case, I'm a big fan of permethrin based clothing treatments (usually use Durannon brand) and I almost never get ticks (none yet this year). I treat my pants, boots, and waders with the stuff every couple months.
A couple days ago I was reminded how effective this stuff is. I was walking a US Army group across the field of Pickett's Charge. We were walking down a mowed grass path. I was the in the lead and upon finishing the walk, the guy following me had 11 dog ticks on his leg and virtually everyone in the group picked at least a couple off themselves. Although the first guy down the trail, I had no ticks. I'm a believer.

I just check myself when I get home.

If I have one dish soap and counter-clockwise circles gets them to release.

Then they get flushed. I hope I'm not making mutant ticks.

Gary,
Check out sierratradingpost.com from time to time. They have great deals on the fishing shirts. Thier selection right now isn't the best but it changes often. About 2 months ago I picked up (4) Simms long sleeved shirts. All were under $25 for the XL Talls. I'm a big fan of Simms gear but don't usually buy it due to the cost but for under $25 I couldn't pass them up. Dick's Sporting Goods sometimes has great deals as well.

I recommend this if you don't want to put insect repellant directly on your skin. Peremethin is the same stuff that's on the Buzz Off clothing that you see at LL Bean, Orvis, and in Ex Officio Clothing. You can get a couple of those Cabelas shirts and treat them with it. I've used it on hats, pants, shirts with good success.

I contacted Lyme a couple of years ago, it's not a good thing so, make sure you check yourself or have some help, everytime. The biggest thing for me was, it afected my balance, it has really hurt my wading.

PaulG

Back