Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Cold Feet

From NE OH
I don't recommend it, but that will open you up. Your blood pressure might crash to nothing, but hey...your feet should be warm

Posted on: 2012/11/30 18:35

From Philadelphia PA
In the Marine Corps we called it "staying comfortably cool".. to heavy a socks creates foot sweat - And not enough or the wrong type of socks make cold feet. Cold feet is justs God's way of telling you to take a break anyways. Just like having a full bladder on a long drive.

Posted on: 2012/12/14 13:05
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

I've tried almost everything to avoid the cold numb feet, wicking layer, polar fleece, wool, etc...no success. I'm thinking of buying these: http://www.backcountry.com/lorpen-trekking-expedition-sock

But before I spend all that $, I'd like to know if anyone on here has tried them? They look promising....rather expensive, but if they work, I wouldn't mind...

Posted on: 2012/12/17 14:20

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
PatrickC,

I'm pretty sure it was you who advised me on insoles a long time back. Undiagnosed but suspected to be peroneal tendonitis, pain is higher than most (outside of ankles/even calfs). I have very high arches. Initial doctor gave me arch support, which worsened the problem, and I never went back. After some discussion on foot mechanics here on the board you recommended trying lateral heel wedges. Just thought you might like an update.

I waited way too long to take your recommendation and get em. In early fall, my condition acted up severely on a fishing outing, and again a few days later just on a minor hike. In preparation (and dread) of deer season I went ahead and ordered a bunch and put them in all my footwear.

It didn't go away immediately, but I could tell it helped. It only acted up minorly in deer season, on walks where it would have been real bad before. More of an annoyance than feeling like an all out disability. At any time I could still "make" it hurt by stretching my foot in a given direction. But I didn't seem to be using that movement when walking as much.

Now, about 3 months into wearing them, the pain is totally gone. I can't even make it hurt with the foot stretch thing anymore. I can't say it won't come back. Aside from deer season, my daily walks are now much shorter and slower because the baby comes with, so it could be I'm just aggravating it less. But it's the first time in over 10 years that I can't even make it hurt if I try to with the stretch thing.

Also noticed, when I do walk, the muscles in the BACK of my leg get a little sore. Just normal muscle soreness, not the same kind of pain as before, and it passes in a day or two like sore muscles do. I assume it means I'm using muscles I never used to, and they'll strengthen with time.

So, anyway, I think the jury is still out but I'm confident there's a significant improvement, if not all out cure. Thank you. And I'd be happy to repay you in some way.

Posted on: 2012/12/18 8:15

From Philadelphia PA
Quote:

ponner1us wrote:
I've tried almost everything to avoid the cold numb feet, wicking layer, polar fleece, wool, etc...no success. I'm thinking of buying these: http://www.backcountry.com/lorpen-trekking-expedition-sock

But before I spend all that $, I'd like to know if anyone on here has tried them? They look promising....rather expensive, but if they work, I wouldn't mind...

As you know in flyfishing there is a lot of standing around. That's where the difficulty in deciding comes in because the sock are for hiking. I have not tried those type of socks...$70.00 seams a bit expensive. I was just online with Cabalas regarding this area.
Anyone try the Cabalas wader knee to toe socks? It looks like they have great reveiws.

Posted on: 2012/12/19 9:59

Edited by PennypackFlyer on 2012/12/19 10:24:59
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Monessen, PA
Again and again-- $5 for polyester thin (black) socks and another 5-10 for a 100% wool sock over top. Poly does not absorb water, so sweat will move toward cooler air (wicking) and the wool will absorb the water without losing its insulation capacity. It will also wick somewhat because of the air space in the weave. Done and done, do not fasten your boots too tightly.

Posted on: 2012/12/19 10:04

From Philadelphia PA
Quote:

JackM wrote:
Again and again-- $5 for polyester thin (black) socks and another 5-10 for a 100% wool sock over top. Poly does not absorb water, so sweat will move toward cooler air (wicking) and the wool will absorb the water without losing its insulation capacity. It will also wick somewhat because of the air space in the weave. Done and done, do not fasten your boots too tightly.

I can only stay in the cold water for about 4 hours at most with that sock set up.

Posted on: 2012/12/19 19:35

From Lehigh Valley
Alot of the guys have it correct.
For Winter thru early Spring..Neoprene bootfoot waders in 5MM with thinsulate insulation and wool felt insoles a pair of polypropylene ,silk sock liners,and a pair of polypropylene/wool especially Merino wool socks that fit but are not tight are a great way to start as well as you can use them toe warmer pads that are disposable. For under layers polypropylene long johns or silk if you prefer are really hard to beat., Remeber to dress in layers make sure you have movement, if you don't you will get cold from circulation trouble.Also Chaz is correct there are Polar Fleece socks that are really warm as well.
For other layers get micro polar fleece followed by some more polar fleece...remeber that there are several weights of polar fleece to be had, Pick the right weight for the conditions you will fish or hunt in.Always wear jacket that covers below your belt line it will alllow your internal organs to stay warm.
If you get cold easily alot of times its because your core has cooled down and your body is trying to salvage heat from your extremities to keep your vital organs safe at the sacrifice of your fingers toes hands and feet.
try using a neck gaitor or Balaclava made from polar fleece too.
Breathable rain jackets over your waders also help.
also get some disposable hand warmers for your pockets to keep warm. I know that the thermacare back heat pads are great for some who get cold,have a person i hunt with that uses them.

Posted on: 2012/12/20 22:55

From Berks County
You have heard a lot of great suggestions in previous post. I'm gonna give ya one that sounds kind of odd. Along with a good wicking sock under a wool sock an old timer told me he sprays his feet with aerosol antiperspirant. Never tried it but it does seem logical.

Posted on: 2012/12/29 17:34

From Central PA
fishing in the winter time is not for wimps! your feet will warm up on the ride home, they might sting and tingle a bit but the next day at work you will wish you were back on the water.

Posted on: 2012/12/30 21:41

From Gamehendge
Dunno if it was said before or not. But alpaca is freaking amazing! Got a pair at the farm show this year. Best, most comfortable sock ever. My feet dont get to warm or to cold. Highly recommended. Although a little pricey for one pair of socks.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 18:43

From South East PA
Before I put on two pair of socks I use baby powder to dry my feet. This works for me hope it helps you!!
Good Luck!!
Sean

Posted on: 2013/1/17 0:06

From Christiana, Delaware
I've been doing the polyester socks and 100% wool sock over top like Jack syas for over 25 years or more while duck hunting, standing in freazing water is a pain with cold feet. I've been out in -10º weather and with a good pair of boots and wearing socks this way has worked.

But the one thing I would like to add is what I do on top of all of this is change my socks before I put my boots on. I do this because after driving in a nice warm truck for an hour or so my feet get moisture on them and if I just stick my foot in my boots like this my feet will get cold no matter what I have on my feet.

Posted on: 2013/1/17 8:23

From Lansdale
I just scored 2 pair of Remington werino wool wicking socks @ K Mart for $9.78. Warm feet tomorrow!!

Posted on: 2013/1/18 16:57

From Lansdale
Yeah. The feet were warm. I'm a guy who has problems with fingertips and toes in a matter of minutes. These socks are just the ticket with a wicking liner underneath. Find 'em and get 'em.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 11:43

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com