Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Can't hook em!

From York
I go through spells where I just can't seem to hook or keep the fish on the hook. I try different hook sets etc. trying to solve the problem but noting works. Usually after some time things start to click again. Just one of those things for me.

Posted on: 2009/5/4 13:24

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
Quote:

MKern wrote:
pete,

I can feel, by the way the fish is fighting, how well the hook is sunk in.
Anyone else, or am I just super-human?

I can occasionally tell by the way it is fighting, but I usually know how well it is hooked, by well.... how well I set the hook. I have asked myself this question before but never on here.

Does anyone, when they know they have a weak hookset, try to set the hook again while a fish has the fly to make a stronger hook set? I know sometimes when nymphing I don't get a good hook set especially when I get a fish on the end of my drift. Does anyone ever, in mid fight, put a little yank in to imbed the hook?

Posted on: 2009/5/5 11:38

From Chester County
Ryguy,

Trout have more soft tissue in the mouth area than most other fish (bass, pike, etc). The amount of distance needed to set the hook is the distance from the hook point to the bend; not a great amount of distance on the small hoook, plus the hooks we use in FF are light wired and barbless (they should be!) and don't take much force to set. Further, don't forget a smaller hook is not holding into much flesh, and it's very easy to pull the hooks free by a hard set. Given all that I don't think multiple hook sets like when setting a hook on a tarpon is necessary. Just tighten up and begin the battle.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 6:30

From Bozeman
I agree with afish. Hold a hook between two fingers and see how comfortable you are with a friend pulling on it. The tissue in a trout's mouth is softer than your fingers.

I set the hook too hard as well, but it does not take much.

Have you ever fished with an indicator and had it take off like a bat out of hell when running through a riffle? My theory has always been that odds are the fish hooked himself, just from the pressure of the current and the act of spitting the fly. He was taking his first run when you detected it.

Posted on: 2009/5/6 9:26

note the way 28s have a sidewise twist
do the same on the rest

Posted on: 2009/5/6 19:02

From Wilkes-Barre / Scranton Area
i had the same problem of not being able to hook fish.
i only have one thing to say"bluegills"!!!!!!!! they taste good, there everywhere, great practice. They straightened me right out.

Posted on: 2009/5/7 2:13

From Lancaster, PA
tell me about it, there are tons of warm water fish down in this area the waters get warm really fast and the sunfish are out rampant. its funny you say that because it was the first fish i really caught and brought right to my hands was a small bluegill that took my fly like there was no tomorrow, funny lil' guys they are.

Posted on: 2009/5/7 9:48

From Johnstown, PA
Pete is on the ball........widen the gap and offset the bend a little.....it's kinda the same principle as circle hooks....corner of the mouth hookup , tough flesh there , also minimal damage to fish and tippet , if you just squash the barbs down that little bump thats left will keep the hook in there , you will see what i mean when you try to remove it , keep em sharp too , i snatch up a few of my daughters emory boards (fingernail files , not metal sandpaper) try it all don't get dicouraged.......KEEP FISHIN.......GOOD LUCK

Posted on: 2009/5/10 16:21

From new cumberland
Got this tip from another thread here on the site.......I cut the tail shorter on my wooleys and seem to hook a bunch more. I just started fly fishing this year and got this tip here but it seems to work.

Posted on: 2009/6/16 17:28

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com