Broken Sage rod.

skybay

skybay

I broke my rod on the recent trip for steelhead. No, I did not drive my car over it, :lol: .
It is my favor, "medium size stillhead rod" with right length, balance and plenty of landings history.
The rod gives up in the strange spot (just by the handle) and I wander if this ever happened to you? Do you think it could be fix?

PS: more on broken rods

Attachments

• Broken-SAGE-rod.jpg
    Broken-SAGE-rod.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 13
You send it to sage with a $50 bill taped to it and they will send u a new one.

Did u break it fighting a fish Jered? If so it appears you bent pats the 90. or put your hand above the grip to heavy hand the fish. either way it shouldn't break there except maybe when u lose a fish and break it over your knee.

I once "tested" a new line of cheap rods a guy I know was selling. First fish on first run downstream broke it in half just below the ferrule.

I told him what happened and he was Peeeissed! I said hey I tested it it is junk! Hope u didn't buy too many. :-D

But sage should back this one up.

Thank you Maurice, you are a genius but I already sent this rod to Sage twice for broken tip: $50 + shipping + long wait. I may use gaffer tape or something of that sort, any more expertise suggestions?

a rod maker can probably fix that, but it will most likely change the way the rod behaves. The fix will involve inserting a piece of another rod inside the blank, probably fiberglass for strength. the piece is epoxied in and then thread is wrapped over the break. this may or may not work, and changes the rod because you have effectively made a place that can't bend. worth a shot if you really like the rod. again this may or may not work.

Stick with Sage, Tell them your getting frustrated about the sage product that keeps breaking.They might send you a new rod.It's worth a try.I have never had a problem with there repairs ; which were few.

Send it back to Sage, they'll make you a new butt section or send you a new rod. It's worth the wait. How the heck did you do that any way?

I agree with Morice on this one except for the 50 bucks , what can i say im cheap , that is a factory defect , so to speak and they should relace it.

I took my broken Sage Z-Axis back to the fly shop where it was purchased. They filled out a warranty form and sent the rod to Sage for repair/replacement. There was never any mention of a $50.00 fee or any S&H charges. I was told it may take 6 - 8 weeks for replacement/repair. I have back ups and at this time of year it's no big deal.

I guess as long as Sage offers the warranty I would keep sending the rod back to them for repair.

They might charge $50 for a tip or mid section but I believe it's more for a butt section.

krayfish wrote:
They might charge $50 for a tip or mid section but I believe it's more for a butt section.

That does not appear to be the case:

Sage Warranty

"For all return shipments within the U.S., the original owner will be responsible for a $50 fee for each rod ($30 for each reel) repaired to cover the repair processing, return shipping and insurance. International customers will be charged actual shipping and insurance costs, and will be responsible for all related customs and duty charges."

It sounds like the shop is covering the shipping charge for their customer. Their UPS account will make the shipping to and from Sage cheaper than $50.00.

Kev,

Had 5 repairs done by sage. When I called about the last repair, I asked if they would put a new handle and wraps on my three weight that I got in1984. "no" was their reply. I said that the butt section is so faded it doesn't even look like the same rod and maybe I can get the bottom replaced if it breaks. Maybe the lady gave me a BS story but she said it was $50 to repair / replace a tip or mid section but it was a different cost for a butt section.

At any rate, his has broken more than once I imagine they will truy to make things right and not charge more than $50. With that said, 3 repair fees plus shipping costs the same as a new rod in many cases.

Just posting what is written on Sages warranty page on their web site. Buying a replacement section for a section that is not broken may very well be priced differently and replacing a well used rod section is different than a broken one, no?

Don't know but I suggested that I'd snap the butt section and send it to them and she told me it would be around $120 fee! If it's only $50, I'll break it / send it back tomorrow. :-D

No extra fee to replace the but section of my SLT that snapped in the handle after I landed on it sliding down an icy bank

OK, I hate being wrong so I've called Sage. $50 repair and over $150 repair statements are both correct. If you have a modern model like a z-axis, FLI, SP and others.... $50. If you have an older model GFL, MA, DS or RP..... you are looking at a $175 (or so) for repairs which end up being a total rod replace to a newer model.

Often on older rods you get a "credit" toward a new rod. I know Orvis does that.
GG

I see the break is right above the hook keeper, maybe you've been nicking that spot to the point of weakening it. Probably the strongest visible spot on the rod.

McSneek wrote:
I took my broken Sage Z-Axis back to the fly shop where it was purchased. They filled out a warranty form and sent the rod to Sage for repair/replacement. There was never any mention of a $50.00 fee or any S&H charges. I was told it may take 6 - 8 weeks for replacement/repair. I have back ups and at this time of year it's no big deal.

I guess as long as Sage offers the warranty I would keep sending the rod back to them for repair.

UPDATE - Picked my repaired rod up at the shop yesterday. Took close to two months for the repair but that's what i was told to expect up front. I guess I have a brand new butt section. Same serial # as the broken rod but obviously new blank, cork, reel seat, etc. Color matches rest of rod perfectly. Looks great. I am satisfied. I paid $65.00 S&H.

$50 to fix, $15 to ship. There ya have it.

Back